Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU 2nd Card approval odds for the Flagship

tag
MerMer495
Valued Member

Re: NFCU 2nd Card approval odds for the Flagship

Here is my Navy experience. Opened a checking and savings on 2/2018 along with an auto loan and a $500 CashRewards Card.

approved for $1000 cli after 91/3. Ran some credit card balances up that caused my scores to tank.  Paid down the balances.

Last month I requested for CLI and it went to a 24 hour review.  I checked my account and saw that my credit limit was at $2500 so I received an auto CLI of $1000 without even knowing lol.  That being said, I knew i was gonna get denied as i just received a CLI.  Logged into my account the next day and saw my new CL at $5500 a CLI of $3000 my hight limit at that time.

I waited until my reports updated the new CL and applied to the Flagship Rewards last night and was approved for $25,000.  Be patient with Navy.  They will take care of you.

Message 21 of 32
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

@CerebralZulu wrote:

If the inquiry doesn't bother you the worst thing that happens at 91/3 is a decline.

I applied for my first card 1/30/20 - cash rewards 12% 3900, barely used it

My second 4/30/20 - more rewards 9.65% 12,500, putting around 1-2k on it every month.  Also CLI on the cash rewards 3900 -> 9900 

And I have a bk7 that is not yet 2 yrs old.  Waiting never hurts, but with good DTI and a good navy relationship it is possible to get a good SL at 91/3, plus I'll be eligible for a CLI in another 91/3.  This means I've had the card and have used it/benefitted from it plus I'll probably get a limit increase vs waiting 6 months.  I'm also that much closer to my third card.  Just something to consider.

@recoveringfrombk7 yours may have been one of the last high CLIs. Not quite the 3x previous limit, but not the 4k that they have been giving lately. Good results there.

@CerebralZulu 

They get around 90% of my DD (annual income is 92k), so I think it helps that they see money hitting my account every month in terms of my internal score.  Plus I have CDs etc.  We are planning to buy a home in 5 years so I wanted to go semi all in with a good CU.  Very pleased so far.  Much more than I expected with the bk.

@recoveringfrombk7, Having that 90% DD is big with them, they see the ability to repaySmiley Happy

Message 22 of 32
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CerebralZulu wrote:

If the inquiry doesn't bother you the worst thing that happens at 91/3 is a decline.

My second 4/30/20 - more rewards 9.65% 12,500, putting around 1-2k on it every month.  Also CLI on the cash rewards 3900 -> 9900 

And I have a bk7 that is not yet 2 yrs old.  Waiting never hurts, but with good DTI and a good navy relationship it is possible to get a good SL at 91/3, plus I'll be eligible for a CLI in another 91/3.  This means I've had the card and have used it/benefitted from it plus I'll probably get a limit increase vs waiting 6 months.  I'm also that much closer to my third card.  Just something to consider.

@recoveringfrombk7 yours may have been one of the last high CLIs. Not quite the 3x previous limit, but not the 4k that they have been giving lately. Good results there.

@CerebralZulu 

They get around 90% of my DD (annual income is 92k), so I think it helps that they see money hitting my account every month in terms of my internal score.  Plus I have CDs etc.  We are planning to buy a home in 5 years so I wanted to go semi all in with a good CU.  Very pleased so far.  Much more than I expected with the bk.

@recoveringfrombk7, Having that 90% DD is big with them, they see the ability to repaySmiley Happy

@M_Smart007 

That's really the only thing that makes sense given how close to my bk I still am.  Don't get me wrong, I've put a lot of effort into my rebuild, but they've been generous above and beyond what one would expect based on my credit reports. 

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 23 of 32
pt91978
Regular Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CerebralZulu wrote:

@CerebralZulu 

@M_Smart007   Do you think that if I move more of my DD over to them (currently only about 20%), that I will have a better odd of getting approve for a personal loan from them next September '21?  I applied for the Pandamic Loan back in March for $5k and was denied.  I'm thinking about apping btw $15-20k to pay off this loan I have that is 23% APR Smiley Sad  Or my ability to make big payments on the 3 CC's I have w/ them is sufficient?  The reason that I'm reluctant to move 100% of my DD over to Navy b/c the closest branch near my house is like 50-60 miles away, and there are like hundreds of Chase around here.  Thanks

Message 24 of 32
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@pt91978 wrote:

@M_Smart007   Do you think that if I move more of my DD over to them (currently only about 20%), that I will have a better odd of getting approve for a personal loan from them next September '21?  I applied for the Pandamic Loan back in March for $5k and was denied.  I'm thinking about apping btw $15-20k to pay off this loan I have that is 23% APR Smiley Sad  Or my ability to make big payments on the 3 CC's I have w/ them is sufficient?  The reason that I'm reluctant to move 100% of my DD over to Navy b/c the closest branch near my house is like 50-60 miles away, and there are like hundreds of Chase around here.  Thanks

@pt91978  ..It Certainly cannot hurt.. And yes, I would probably not move 100% due the branch distance.

What is your EQ FICO9 score like? (that is what they will pull for Loan App)

Also they really look ad DTI .

Message 25 of 32
kaylord84
Frequent Contributor

@pt91978 wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CerebralZulu wrote:

@CerebralZulu 

I was approved for the pandemic loan April 2020 with no DD with navy Federal for the full $5k . I also made  3 years post BK7 discharge at the time. I would say it's not necessary my DD goes 100% to DCU 

Starting Score: Eq 485 TU 467 Ex 400 BK filed Dec 2016
Current Score: Eq 723 TU 665 Ex 682
Goal Score: 700 All 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 32
pt91978
Regular Contributor

@pt91978  ..It Certainly cannot hurt.. And yes, I would probably not move 100% due the branch distance.

@M_Smart007   Currently, my FICO9 from Navy is 686.  Hope I'll get over 700 by next September.  Idk how to calculate the DTI.  But my gross income is $91k, $32k left on that 23% apr loan, and $16.3k left on student loan.  3% utilization CC using AZEO.

Message 27 of 32
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@pt91978 wrote:

@M_Smart007   Currently, my FICO9 from Navy is 686.  Hope I'll get over 700 by next September.  Idk how to calculate the DTI.  But my gross income is $91k, $32k left on that 23% apr loan, and $16.3k left on student loan.  3% utilization CC using AZEO.

$91K/yr translates to about $7600/month gross so your DTI would roughly be the (sum of the mininum monthly payments on all loans + sum of the min monthly payment on all CCs + your monthly rent) / $7600

"all loans" would include mortgage and car payments if applicable.

How an individual DTI figure is viewed is a YMMV based upon ones overall profile but 35-40% is often red flag territory. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 28 of 32
pt91978
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion   Thanks for the formula.  Since Navy pulls EQ for personal loan, and I just check my EQ report on CK, it doesn't show the 32k loan on there, only the student loan.  Does that mean that they won't know about that loan, therefore it won't be calculated into DTI?  Thanks.

Message 29 of 32
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

In theory yes.  No guarantee that they won't also SP from a different CRA or pull data from an aggregator.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.