Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU - Declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU - Declined

Hey all!

Hearing the great stories here I signed up for Navy Fed Credit Union and threw my hat in the ring for a visa card.

Fico TU was - 682, Net Income over 100k, credit utilization under 10%...only derogatory remark is a handful of late payments a little over a year ago.

I got declined... awaiting my letter on the "why" since know one can give any info on the phone or in branch and then I was thinking of doing a review process for reconsideration.

The best guest in branch is that I am a new customer so they dont want the risk, but this seems like crap. Thoughts from other members? I don't want ANOTHER credit pull if I do a recon, so any advice on how to proceed would be great. Thought I was in a good place for this one.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU - Declined

That's a bummer!

I would suggest you access the 'Message' feature in your account online and send them a request to reconsider your application with just a soft inquiry!

Good Luck

Message 2 of 20
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Its the lates

More than 1 late in less then 2 years

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 3 of 20
rbentley
Established Contributor

I agree it is the lates.  You say a "handful".  How many is that actually.  How late... 30/60/90?

I think you are going to have to wait for 2 years from the last late before I would recomend that you try again.

Message 4 of 20
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the others that its likely the late pays.

Did you by chance app for the Flagship? Perhaps you just weren’t approved for the minimum 5k SL..

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya I figured it was going to be on the lates, its two 60 days. 

I have a request in for a goodwill removal for both, but have had no luck so far. Figured maybe since this was my only item and my income/other debt is solid that it wouldn't matter as much.

But guess not!

Message 6 of 20
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ya I figured it was going to be on the lates, its two 60 days. 

I have a request in for a goodwill removal for both, but have had no luck so far. Figured maybe since this was my only item and my income/other debt is solid that it wouldn't matter as much.

But guess not!

Thats gonna be a 2 year gardening excursion for you. Most lenders wont touch that

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL ok, sounds good.

Message 8 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all!

Hearing the great stories here I signed up for Navy Fed Credit Union and threw my hat in the ring for a visa card.

Fico TU was - 682, Net Income over 100k, credit utilization under 10%...only derogatory remark is a handful of late payments a little over a year ago.

I got declined... awaiting my letter on the "why" since know one can give any info on the phone or in branch and then I was thinking of doing a review process for reconsideration.

The best guest in branch is that I am a new customer so they dont want the risk, but this seems like crap. Thoughts from other members? I don't want ANOTHER credit pull if I do a recon, so any advice on how to proceed would be great. Thought I was in a good place for this one.

Hi and welcome to MyFICO

Can you provide us with some more stats?

What CCs do you have and what are their CLs?

Is any one CC over 30% UT?

What is your AAOAs and AoYA?

What are the lates? Are they CC-related, medical, what?

What are your EQ and EX FICO scores?

How many inquiries do you have in the last 6 mos, 12 mos, 24 months?

Answers to these questions will give us a better idea on how to direct you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I too recently joined NFCU (in January). I had similar scores to you when I joined. I also had more lates (I fell behind on my mortgage early last year and had to enter a payment plan for like 6 months and the bank reported a late payment for each month I was in the plan). I got approved for a Cash Rewards card with a 1K spending limit. So don't give up. Do you have a good credit mix? At the time I applied, I had a car loan, two credit cards, multiple student loans, and a mortgage--perhaps that's why they overlooked the mortgage lates.

EDIT: Here is a thread where someone got an NFCU secured credit card first and then got a second (unsecured) card 6 months later despite having numerous lates on their credit report and credit scores lower than yours (see post #3):

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-navy-federal-secured-is-about-to-graduate-Should-i-...

Maybe you should try for a secured card first and build history with them. NFCU seems to reward people big time who do that.  As they say, "the juice is worth the squeeze."

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.