Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Pre-Qualify

tag
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Pre-Qualify

So I decided to check the pre-qualify page at NFCU tonight to see if anything had changed recently. When I first applied back on May 21st, it told me that I only qualified for a secured card.  I applied for a regular Go Rewards card anyway and it was approved with just a $700 credit limit. They sent me a letter that said I didn't qualify for the lowest interest rate and on the back of that letter it told me that my Navy Federal internal score was 277. I only became a NFCU member about a week before that.

Tonight, when I went back, all 5 credit cards came up prequalified to which I was completely shocked Smiley Surprised.  My scores were better about 2 weeks ago but I recently fell to right around 700 fico on all 3 credit bureaus, so I have been paying off accounts and trying to tweak what I can to get my score back up.

I've decided to do whatever the general consensus is on the forum, as you all are definitely the credit experts.  Do you guys think I should go ahead and submit for the Flagship or Platinum Card now? Or do you think I should I wait until after 3 full billing cycles or 91/3?  Thanks for helping me decide!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Pre-Qualify

@RealEstateGuy89 wrote:

So I decided to check the pre-qualify page at NFCU tonight to see if anything had changed recently. When I first applied back on May 21st, it told me that I only qualified for a secured card.  I applied for a regular Go Rewards card anyway and it was approved with just a $700 credit limit. They sent me a letter that said I didn't qualify for the lowest interest rate and on the back of that letter it told me that my Navy Federal internal score was 277. I only became a NFCU member about a week before that.

Tonight, when I went back, all 5 credit cards came up prequalified to which I was completely shocked Smiley Surprised.  My scores were better about 2 weeks ago but I recently fell to right around 700 fico on all 3 credit bureaus, so I have been paying off accounts and trying to tweak what I can to get my score back up.

I've decided to do whatever the general consensus is on the forum, as you all are definitely the credit experts.  Do you guys think I should go ahead and submit for the Flagship or Platinum Card now? Or do you think I should I wait until after 3 full billing cycles or 91/3?  Thanks for helping me decide!

I predict that you will be denied if you apply now.

Unless something has changed really recently:

1. Navy's prequal is not accurate when all cards are shown. 

2. Navy is strict on the 91/3 before you can receive another card.

Message 2 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@RealEstateGuy89 wrote:

I predict that you will be denied if you apply now.

Unless something has changed really recently:

1. Navy's prequal is not accurate at all

2. Navy is strict on the 91/3 before you can receive another card.

Fixed. Prequal is useless. Don't trust it, OP. And you MUST wait the full 91 days/3 full 25-day billing cycles before they'll consider approving another card.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

I agree with @OmarGB9 and @dragontears 

NFCU's prequalifications are useless

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Yeah, like the others have said, the prequal hasn't been very reliable at all.

You'll need to wait 91 days and have 3 full statements cut before your next app.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 8
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

Thank you to everyone who replied.  I am going to do that, wait until around 91-95 days and then apply for a 2nd card and then ask for a CLI on the first card and see what happens.  It's really not all that long to wait at all, but it sure seems like it when you want to get there! I will reply in one of the threads to say what happened in a couple of months.

Message 6 of 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@RealEstateGuy89 wrote:

Thank you to everyone who replied.  I am going to do that, wait until around 91-95 days and then apply for a 2nd card and then ask for a CLI on the first card and see what happens.  It's really not all that long to wait at all, but it sure seems like it when you want to get there! I will reply in one of the threads to say what happened in a couple of months.

Great, let us know.  You just might be pleasantly surprised with that 2nd card. Good luck!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 8
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@RealEstateGuy89 wrote:

Great, let us know.  You just might be pleasantly surprised with that 2nd card. Good luck!

Thank  you, when I do I will be sure to post any DP that I can.  I'm curious to see how it will go.  I just logged in recently to make sure that I PIF a week early. I figured that was the best way to go for the results.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.