Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU denial and Data points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU denial and Data points

Today I opened a checking and saving with NFCU. I figured hey I may as well app for a card, even though I knew I'd get declined, but figured maybe I had a shot. My TU is a bit over 700 and I had good reason to believe that's what would be pulled, it was. I have been denied a lot lately and am very understanding on why that is. Lots of new accounts, short history and lots of inquiries. I wasn't just applying because of score, as I'm aware that is only a small part in criteria. Just thought maybe I had a chance.
Anyways, just wanted to share they pulled TU for CC and there was no pull for membership. I'm located in NJ a few miles from NYC, so for people in this area I would assume you would get the same pull.

I submitted a recon email but am pretty sure I'm going to get the response about my credit being at the beginning stages!!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU denial and Data points

My sons is backwards from yours. He and I both got accounts at NFCU on same day.  Both of us chose not to apply for credit for either of our accounts at the time we opened them. We both got hard pulled for our checking and savings account openings.  About a month later we both received email invitations for a NFCU credit card. He chose to bite I did not. He got instantly approved but no hard pull at all has shown on his credit report so I am wondering if they soft pulled him or just used the month old pull from when he opened the account.

Another funny thing I noticed about USAA is I was sent an email invitation for thier amex card a year ago. I bit and took the card. I was going through my inquiries recently and noticed there is not one hp on any of my reports for this amex card. Wierd. They never hp me for membership either and at that point when they sent me the amex invitation I had had my accounts for over 8 months. I am wondering now if those types of banks just soft pull you for invitations and do no hp unless you cold app? I have no clue but I find it funny 2 different banks but similar in nature neither hp for email invitations for thier cards that I have seen.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had read that sometimes they use one initial pull for a few months. But I could be mistaken. What were your scores when they sent you the invite?
Message 3 of 11
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

His scores all range in the 720s area. Mine are lowest score 720 and highest is 750s

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I had read that sometimes they use one initial pull for a few months. But I could be mistaken. What were your scores when they sent you the invite?

You are mistaken.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for pointing that out. Could you share any input on the matter? Or did you just want to inform me that I was mistaken?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for pointing that out. Could you share any input on the matter? Or did you just want to inform me that I was mistaken?

It's well known that NFCU HP's whenever you apply for products. You may get lucky with a CLI request right after an AR with no HP. But that's about it.

Plus I just wanted to inform you that you were mistaken.

Message 7 of 11
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
...just wanted to share they pulled TU for CC and there was no pull for membership. ...

I actually find that part difficult to believe.  AFAIK they always pull for membership and any/every cold applicaiton on a credit product (even if you made 5 apps in one day, it would mean 5 pulls, maybe even from the same bureau).  

If you only see one inquiry, I would have to guess they pulled for membership; and denied you for the card based on info in the applicaiton without even reaching the part that would normally require a pull.  Especially since you apped for membership, and after that apped for the card. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume it was for the CC. Literally two seconds after I hit submit I got the notification from experian credit works about the hard pull. And also I don't know if this makes a difference but I got my membership over the phone.
Message 9 of 11
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

Like I said in my earlier post. Both my son and I got pulled for membership right off the bat. I think it took a day or two to pop up. I had not done my research and was a little surprised to see the Hps for membership since USAA does not. Had I took a few minutes to just look it up though I would have known so that was my fault. For my sons CC he did not cold app. He was sent an invitation from them in an email and just accepted. So far it has been weeks now and no other pulls have shown up on his credit other than the membership pull. So I am assuming that when NFCU like USAA send you an invitation they have already soft pulled you therefore no hp for credit. Yet if you cold app without and invitation they will HP.  Both NFCU and USAA as far as I know hp you for any customer initiated request. Credit line increase, new card so on and so forth.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.