Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU option - apply for another card or CLI request on existing Flagship

tag
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

NFCU option - apply for another card or CLI request on existing Flagship

I'd like to hit Navy a little harder.  Currently I have a Flagship Visa 5k with good activity and PIF, a checking, savings, and SSL  with them.  Scores around 725.  8 other cards: 3 Amex, 1 USAA, Target Lowes etc.  Navy accounts are about a year old.  Never asked for a CLI, but never got one handed to me either. For a first step, would it be best to go for another card with them, or ask for a CLI on the Visa?  Also, since I own a company, I could ACH (direct deposit) a weekly deposit into my Navy checking if that would help my case.  Thanks for  your opinions.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU option - apply for another card or CLI request on existing Flagship

How long have you had the Flagship?

Message 2 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

April 30 of last year. Also, I'm not in a hurry fwiw. 

Message 3 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

I'd like to hit Navy a little harder.  Currently I have a Flagship Visa 5k with good activity and PIF, a checking, savings, and SSL  with them.  Scores around 725.  8 other cards: 3 Amex, 1 USAA, Target Lowes etc.  Navy accounts are about a year old.  Never asked for a CLI, but never got one handed to me either. For a first step, would it be best to go for another card with them, or ask for a CLI on the Visa?  Also, since I own a company, I could ACH (direct deposit) a weekly deposit into my Navy checking if that would help my case.  Thanks for  your opinions.

Plan A:  You should apply for a CLI and see what happens. 

Plan B:  If you don't get a good CLI, apply for a 2nd card if you can use a 2nd card.  If you get a 2nd card, and it's got a good CL, fine. (It's easy with Navy to move the limits around among your cards). If the CL isn't good enough, after at least 3 statements apply for a CLI on the 2nd card.

It can't hurt to be putting direct deposits there, although I doubt that it would make a huge difference.  If you do it, you can call them and arrange to have 1-day early direct deposit, so you'll have access to the funds a day early. (The procedure folks have recommended is to call them when the deposit is showing as pending, and ask them to make it available sooner)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

All depends on your wants. Youve done the hard part by getting the FS. Now with time passing by its up to you to request cli at the appropriate intervals,  ie every 6 months if approved. Getting another card is good if you either will use it or just want some more util padding. My vote is apply for cli with bureaus locked to go for an sp cli. Then apply for second card if so desired. 

Message 5 of 12
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

< My vote is apply for cli with bureaus locked to go for an sp cli. Then apply for second card if so desired. >

So the thinking on this is if Navy tries a HP and can't get in because the files are locked, they will be content with a SP because I'm an existing customer? 

Message 6 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

< My vote is apply for cli with bureaus locked to go for an sp cli. Then apply for second card if so desired. >

So the thinking on this is if Navy tries a HP and can't get in because the files are locked, they will be content with a SP because I'm an existing customer? 

Apply for the CLI online and it is a soft pull. 

BTW there was a comment made earlier in the thread about reallocating limits among NFCU cards.  NFCU never officially supported doing it and while for a period of time they would often quietly do it if asked, IIRC around early last year they cracked down and they now enforce a no-CL-reallocation policy.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 12
SG43
Regular Contributor

(It's easy with Navy to move the limits around among your cards)

@SouthJamaica  I thought they no longer allowed that?

edit: just saw @coldfusion 's reply. 

disregard

Open Installments - Nfcu Auto (51% Left)
Closed Installments - Cap 1 Auto, Chase Auto, Prosperity Bank Secured
Closed Revolvers - Nfcu Plat V, NFCU Plat MC, Citi Simp, Citi DC, Citi DP, Cap1 Plat, Cap1 V1, Chase FU, First Premier, Capital1 Quicksilver, BBVA/PNC Points, Apple Card GS, Discover IT
Closed Busi - Amex BBC & BBP (Chopping block: Amex Prime, Sapphire Reserve [pyb changes])
Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@W261w261 wrote:

Most data points show requesting online to be sp but as an added measure , i like to have my bureaus locked. Navy can sp your accounts since you have an account with them. If they want(ed) to hp, they will inform you. What i suggest is not the same as trying to force a lender to pull a specific bureau by locking other two, which is not permitted here anyway. 

Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@W261w261 wrote:

It appears the 2nd piece of the HP question wasn't clarified upthread.  If you're pursuing a new NFCU card, you will need to thaw your reports.  There's no getting around the HP for new CCs. Requesting a CLI tends to result in a SP in the majority of cases when requesting it online or via the app. If you try requesting the CLI via an agent, a HP is likely.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.