Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU second card

tag
kawboy2222
Established Member

NFCU second card

Good day all. I currently have one cc with Navy, (More Rewards Amex 25K SL) with about 7% util. I'm about to apply for a second card. My question is, would there be any measurable benefit to paying the first card lower or completely off prior to the second app? I'm cautiously optimistic about approval, but I'm thinking more of potential SL or interest rate on card two. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU second card

@kawboy2222, I have always applied with "Balances" on my cards, and rarely optimize for applications.

It is my humble opinion that they look at use, payments .... NFCU looks at overall DTI.

As long as your overall DTI is not out of whack, you should be good, I mean they trust your with $25K already?.

Just my $0.02's worth.

Someone else may have better advice, than Me?

Message 2 of 7
kawboy2222
Established Member

Thank you for that info...  Makes good sense. 

Message 3 of 7
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Got a question for you.

Did you have any other products with nfcu before getting your first cc with them ? 

25k right out of the gate , dayum ! 

Message 4 of 7
kawboy2222
Established Member

Sure. I had pretty recently joined and opened both a checking and a savings account. Started a direct deposit into checking but they were both pretty new and not large amounts. Probably 3 months old at the time I'd guess. 

Message 5 of 7
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

I had about 1k on cash rewards when they approved me for 20k flagship. 

Message 6 of 7
kawboy2222
Established Member

Yeah. I was probably  just overthinking it. I was reading another threat about utilization thresholds and was a little unsure. Very interesting reading though. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.