Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Fed denied CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed denied CLI

Hello

I received Navy Fed's cash rewards visa in October.  I waited the 3 months (maybe a little more) and then asked for a CLI a week or so ago.  Just got the letter in the mail denying. The reason stated is, "You've reached Navy Federal's maximum unsecured credit limit."

I kind of did a double take because I've seen people with Navy Fed cards with 20k+ limits.  And this card I have is only a 1k limit.  Is this normal?  Is it this specific card?

There were no other reasons for the denial given.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Fed denied CLI

It may be the internal limit on that card for the time being. Perhaps, you need more time.

Do you have other Navy cards? If not, a second Navy application for a new card may yield more credit?
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it's the only Navy card I have.  Though I have a car financed through them.

I guess I will just hang in the garden for a while.  I'm tempted to apply for a second card, but I am not really looking to open any new accounts, reason being I plan to apply for a mortgage this summer.

Thanks for your reply, I guess I didn't think they'd have such a limit since everyone says to ask for your CLI at 3 months.

Message 3 of 36
blindambition
Senior Contributor

It's possible that you might be approved on another card. While we may scratch our heads on some of Navy's decisions, you can't compare your file to someone else's. There's many variables that go into a file. All are completely unique.

Message 4 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello

I received Navy Fed's cash rewards visa in October.  I waited the 3 months (maybe a little more) and then asked for a CLI a week or so ago.  Just got the letter in the mail denying. The reason stated is, "You've reached Navy Federal's maximum unsecured credit limit."

I kind of did a double take because I've seen people with Navy Fed cards with 20k+ limits.  And this card I have is only a 1k limit.  Is this normal?  Is it this specific card?

Give it a little more time. You can  try in 90 days... But I would wait 6 months for best resultsSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I probably would.  Navy has been pretty good to me so far despite being a member only a few months.  You guys need to stop tempting me to apply Smiley Happy

Yeah, for some reason I didn't even think there would be individual internal limits on the cards.  In my (admittedly simple) mind it was, "get your limit, get your increase in 3 months if you've been good".  Guess it never occurred to me that denials could happen for reasons outside of your credit score.

(because I have been good)

However, they gave me the car loan and the credit card all within 4 months of becoming a member so I can't complain.

Message 6 of 36
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Welcome to NFCU wild riding train. I'm sure we've all been there before with a CLI denial. I've been there several times with them. For some reason it's like i feel they want you to know that they're in charge not us. So i bow down the the NFCU god's and they forgive me of my luv button pushes and allow a little treat now and again. Like another poster stated you may want to try for another card that may yield a big surprise. But I didn't see anything about your profile there. You may want to share some of your data for others to help with NFCU's decision making. Good luck with whatever you decide. NFCU in my opinion is still the best. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 7 of 36
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello

Every profile is different, orher people with 20k limits probably be saying same about people with 25k limitsSmiley Wink. Just means right now they arent comfortable lending more. Stay the course it will comeSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 36
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello

Give it a little more time. You can  try in 90 days... But I would wait 6 months for best resultsSmiley Wink

Actually could try in a week if they wanted. Being denied a cli doesnt reset the clock. And Navys decision could change tomorrow , a week or months from now lol

Message 9 of 36
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Many of us, even with high FICOs, high incomes, and thick files have seen that message at some point, @Anonymous.  It just means, as of that moment in time, that is all they are willing to lend you.  And yes, it goes a lot deeper than a FICO score.  Length of time as a member usually leads of loosening of the purse strings but there's a lot at play.  They look at your overall income and debt ratios, payment history, and other credit considerations.   You can get that message today and tomorrow they may approve you for additional credit.  Usually, though, if you get that message it's best to wait for awhile.  Applying for a new card immediately would more than likely lead to a denial and wasted hard pull.  Give them a little time.  Don't look impatient and eventually the doors will open. 

Just curious, though, but how many other new accounts and inquiries do you have in the past six months to a year?  They are more sensitive to credit-seeking than may be apparent.  I would garden for at least 3-6 months before trying them for a new card. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.