Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Platnium CC App Denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Platnium CC App Denied

Has anyone ever dealt with a denial that made you question why?

I have a FICO of 781 with 4% of utilization on my nRewards card.  Literally about to pay it off.

I was just denied and I have no understanding to why.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Platnium CC App Denied

Was it an auto-decline? If so have you called in to attempt to recon? Maybe it was the card itself although with those stats it sounds like a no-brainer. How long have you had the nRewards card? 3 statements and 91 days? 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Many have gotten denials and asked themselves whySmiley Wink

I think you need to share more info about your profile and history with Navy because as Sandman alluded to could be not enough history. You can have a 781 Fico but for all we know you could have 6 months credit history. With Navy and alot of lenders acores arent everything. Things like debt, dti, aaol, hps, and other factors weigh in. Please give some more data points,so you can get better advice.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your new account denial may be because NFCU has extended you all the credit that they are willing to at this time or, as someone else brought up, they feel that your nRewards is too new. You should give them a call to see what is up. They are very friendly and the issue may be able to be resolved duirng the phone call. 

I am interested to know why you currently have a nRewards card. I do not come across many people that actively chose that card. Most with nRewards got it because it was issued to them as a secured card. Was your nRewards secured? 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU will send you a letter with the reasoning. Calling won't help is understanding. However, secure message does. Perhaps you could give us more info on your profile and we can better give you an idea as to why. Like the others said, giving us just your score doesn't help us! Scores aren't everything!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate all the responses!

So a little background information:

I've had this account open since Aug 2012

Credit limit is sitting at 25k

Not sure where it says secured or not

Never missed a payment

TU = 781

EQ = 791

@CO_NATIVE

I chose this card when I got out of bootcamp.  Didn't look too much into the different cards at the time

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I appreciate all the responses!

So a little background information:

I've had this account open since Aug 2012

Credit limit is sitting at 25k

Not sure where it says secured or not

Never missed a payment

TU = 781

EQ = 791

@Anonymous

I chose this card when I got out of bootcamp.  Didn't look too much into the different cards at the time

At this point, it does sound to me like something you'd have success reconning, with a nearly 5-year history, on-time payment history, low util and very good scores on both TU and EQ. However, what other cards if any do you have and what are the utilizations on those? Installment loans (car, student, mortgage, personal?) If those are OK, I'd suggest you call them/secure message them or even go into a NFCU branch if you have one nearby and talk to one of the people there face-to-face.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joe8185

Thanks for the response!

For my other accounts, I have a Chase and a Macys but both are sitting at a $0 balance with no payments ever being missed

The Chase was probably my first ever card that was opened up as a joint account with my mom back in like 07 but it's still in good standing

I do have an auto loan with NFCU currently, maybe that can be a reason?

No mortgage or student loans.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

Thanks for the response!

For my other accounts, I have a Chase and a Macys but both are sitting at a $0 balance with no payments ever being missed

The Chase was probably my first ever card that was opened up as a joint account with my mom back in like 07 but it's still in good standing

I do have an auto loan with NFCU currently, maybe that can be a reason?

No mortgage or student loans.

I'm assuming that everything's OK with your NFCU auto loan, same as with your other CC's. I'm not a NFCU member myself so I'm just speculating here, but if you already have a CC and an installment loan with them, I suppose it's possible that you can only have one of each active at a time?? (Really need other Navy Fed members to give more accurate information on this.) I actually wonder - again, it's speculation - if, with your good history, you could get your current nRewards card upgraded to a Platinum on reconsideration if you can't get a new Platinum.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

*Update

Just got off with a CC rep from NFCU and I was able to get a better understanding of why I could have been denied

NFCU gives out a max of 80k total between all CC's but 50k per card.

I looked at my accounts and I forgot I had another line of credit opened with them back in 2011 that I was able to upgrade to the Platnium card.  I was also able to get the 8.74% APR on it!

So now, does that initial denial of the card affect my score?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.