Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@CreditInspired wrote:

@DJRobbieD wrote:

Looking for some advice... last month I became a NFCU member and immediately applied for the Platinum card. Didn't get instant approval, but got approval email later that day.  I got their best rate (8.24%), but a SL of only $10k, which was lower than I expected for a clean TU report (no lates, no derogs), a FICO8 of 720, and income of $330k. Here were my TU DPs at the time:

22 total accounts (10 open, 12 closed)

9.0 AAoA

35%ish Util

1 HP

I'm thinking the Util rate is what handcuffed me as I had a big BT promo balance that I hadn't paid off yet.  I've since paid off that BT promo balance and opened 2 other cards with high SL, so my Util is down to 15%ish, though my AAoA is down to 7.0 years.

What path do you recommend I take for a CLI on my NFCU Platinum?  Submit for one at the 91/3 mark, reduce my Util even further, and/or garden for a while to get my AAoA back up?

Congratulations on your $10K approval. I think you may be right that the UT may have hampered the SL although it still is pretty good. If it were me, I would wait for the 91-day/3 statement cut.

Also, a huge congratulations on snagging the Apple card.

Thank you @CreditInspired!

Follow-up question:  If I submit for a CLI at the 91/3 mark, will it be a SP or HP from EQ? And how high would you recommend I go?  I’ve seen $25k as a ‘magic number’ in this forum, but curious if I should shoot for the stars and the $50k max?

TCL: $397.4k
Message 10181 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is NFCU now pulling TU for CLI request?

Requested CLI on my Amex More Rewards and immediately got notification from CK of a hard inquiry from NFCU?

If so are they pulling TU8 or TU9?

Forgot to mention my CLI request is under review.

Credit Karma will alert for Equifax as well.  Check the app and it should show the hard inquiry and which it was from of the two.

Message 10182 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow-up question:  If I submit for a CLI at the 91/3 mark, will it be a SP or HP from EQ? And how high would you recommend I go?  I’ve seen $25k as a ‘magic number’ in this forum, but curious if I should shoot for the stars and the $50k max?

It will be a HP from EQ. You can ask for up to 3X your SL; anything past that will probably be countered with 3X...

Message 10183 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I t was an alert from TU. I called CSR and stated they pulled TU for CLI request.
Message 10184 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would they approve a CLI 3x current limit or 3x original starting limit? I have had my Rewards card around 2 years and its at 6k and started at 2k after it was a secure card. My FICO 8s are 712-740 only baddie is a 4.5 year old non reporting charge off. I'm going to do a CLI this week.
Message 10185 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just ask for $25K if your income is over $25K. There is no sense asking for less because they will counter with the max they’ll offer you if it isn’t $25K and you can’t get another increase for 6 months. 

While it’s uncommon to get more than 3X, it has been known to happen from time to time. 

Message 10186 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

25k is the limit without proof of income correct? It's not that I can't produce it but it's a hassle.
Thanks
Message 10187 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, $25K is a safe ceiling before POI. 

Message 10188 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I just applied for the CLI for 18k. I have PIF every month I have had the card and I also have an auto loan that is always paid early and never late for 2 years. They came back at 16k. They pulled EQ9 I believe which is at 772 my only baddie being a 4.5 year old CO on EQ. Waiting for a CH7 to fall off or try to get early surrender in May 2020.
Next step is try for the 25k or the AMEX in May?
Message 10189 of 17,187
CommanderCody
New Contributor

Just had a quick question. I think I've seen that shifting some limit from one NFCU card to another resets the CLI clock. Do you have to wait 6 months after a CLI to shift limit to the same card?

My Mr is coming up on 6 months. It started with only 1k and from what I've read I only expect to maybe move up to 3k. Really would like it to be more and considering moving some of my CR limit.

Just looking for advice, suggestions, experiences, etc.

Thanks
Message 10190 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.