Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Strategy?

tag
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Navy Strategy?

Just got into Navy; through my grandfather... who served in the Navy.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of topics about Navy approvals... that don't really delve into great detail, particularly about which credit bureau was pulled.

From what I've read, combined with data points from the Credit Pulls website; it appears that Navy pulls either Transunion, or Equifax.

However, there appears to be some kind of pattern, depending on whether Applications are new, or if requesting a CLI. But, I'm not exactly sure what the modus is.

I was also advised by a rep that they would use the same inquiry for additional applications.

If anyone would care to share their experience... of first applying for credit products, soon after joining Navy, it would really help me to make a sound decision as to which products I should apply for first.

Also, after signing in, I don't see anything under the "Offers" tab. But, I think my credit was frozen at the time of account opening.

Is there a timeframe for automatic credit reviews... that would produce offers?

Or, is it better to just apply for a couple of accounts, straightaway... freeze lifted, of course.

Is the CLOC something you can apply for online?

Are their certain card products that are likely to reap higher limits than others?

Is there a limit of 25k before forwarding income documents? If so, what method of verification do they prefer?

Anything else anyone could think of would be fantastic. Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Strategy?

If anyone would care to share their experience... of first applying for credit products, soon after joining Navy, it would really help me to make a sound decision as to which products I should apply for first.
CC applications have been TU pull for me, CLOC and CLI request pull EQ

They do AR every two months, but those will not produce offers. You may be able to get a CLI with just a SP though

Is the CLOC something you can apply for online?
Yes, you can apply for this online
Are their certain card products that are likely to reap higher limits than others?
Their Flagship card has the highest limit; all others have the same threshhold
Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi Trusty, welcome to Navy Fed. Most of your questions or concerns can in fact be found throughout the forum and the Navy thread, which is your best source for up to date recent experiences from other members.

Unless its a new policy, which would be huge dp, most products you apply for will be a hp. I havent seen anyone , for instance getting 2 credit cards on a single hp. Cloc is different department than cc's so yet another hp. Good luck on your future endeavers. If you need some extra insight on Navy perhaps send a pm to Admiral WadeDaltonSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 12
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

What AJC said!  I'm surprised that Navy doesn't HP just for calling them.  Decent credit union but they will HP you for just about anything.  It's not bad if you know going into it...but if you haven't done your homework you could easily find yourself picking up several inquiries from acceptance to first couple of products. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy doesnt HP anymore for membership approval .Started 1/1/18. Fyi

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, i think they should take away hp for membership from all of us recent recruits Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

They do AR every two months, but those will not produce offers. You may be able to get a CLI with just a SP though

@Tigers09. I'm new to NFCU. But the AR I thought were every 3 months? Only going off of data posted on this forum but please correct me if I'm wrong. (Clearly I can be as ive only been a member for a month). But ive been thinking 3 months this whole time because of everything I've read on here. And am curious as to whether its 2 months now that you say so. This will determine when I request my CLI. Please let me know. Or anyone else that sees this please chime in .Thanks .

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Roy21, its always been 2 months as far as i recall. Next one is supposed to Mar, so anywhere from end of Feb, to eary MarchSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks AJC. Good to know. Like I said I'm new to Navy but 61 days 92 days. When you read this forum all darn day sometimes you get a little confused on certain stuff like this and forget what's what lol. Thanks anyways. Ill keep an eye out as I know when it comes around everyone starts posting about it (the AR). 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Navy doesnt HP anymore for membership approval .Started 1/1/18. Fyi

This is true! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.