Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a third card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a third card?

I have been thinking about applying for a 3rd CC. Currently I have a Chase Freedom originally approved for 1K then within 3 months they increased my limit to 2K currently have 1850.00 on it.
Also have a Discover card with a 3300 limit with 2700 on it.
Both cards are 6 month old with no late payments.
My current scores are Equifax 752 Trans 690 and Experian 694
all were above 700 till this month when I hit a high utilization
What card would you apply for?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a third card?

I wouldn't bother applying for anything until you bring those balances down under 10% or you're risking denials and $500 CL's.

Message 2 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I would not be applying for anything until your utilization goes down 

Are you looking for another card because the other two are close to being maxed out? 

With that said, are you looking for cash back cards, miles, points etc? 

What do you spend money on? 

Is your oldest account 6 months old? 

Message 3 of 6
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I agree with others.  I would pay those down to below 30% or so and then consider another card.  You don't want to spook your existing lenders and risk AA.  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been thinking about applying for a 3rd CC. Currently I have a Chase Freedom originally approved for 1K then within 3 months they increased my limit to 2K currently have 1850.00 on it.

It is hard to recommend a card if I don't know what your interests are.  I would go for a solid general spending card 1.5%-2% and use that when you can't get 5% back with one of your rotating categories. 

Personally I would try the Citi DC but with your profile being rather young, I would even be happy with Amex CM.  I'm rather surprised you already have Chase but that is fantastic that you do.  I would certainly do what the others have mentioned and pay down the Disco a little first.

Message 5 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IMHO, I dont think you would be approved for another credit card at this time.  Save your HPs until your CCs are below 8.9%. Almost maxing out cards that are only 6 mos old is just not a good look to lenders. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.