tag
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: New To Credit

@tmax2020 wrote:

Discover it® Cash Back

@Slabenstein wrote:

@tmax2020 wrote:

Thank you for your response, when I started last year I went to discover for a secured card,  disco denied me. I do get an offer on discover prequalify but I'm afraid to apply because I don't want I am not sure I'll get any approval. I don't want to waste Hard inquiry on my profile but I really do need a new card.

That's exactly what the preapproval page is for: checking your approval odds before you burn an HP.  The Disco prequal is pretty accurate, so it's usually a confident app if the page comes back with a prequal.  What card or cards is their page showing you now?  From the info you've given, it looks like your profile has seen improvement from a year ago, just in terms of gaining credit history.

Discover it® Cash Back

Discover it® Gas & Restaurants

Discover it® Miles

I say go for it.  Depending on income, SL may be better than where Cap1 has you leashed, and a Disco card should have a lot more growth potential.  The It Chrome (Gas & Restraunts) doesn't have a good reward structure compared to competitors, so I'd look at Miles and Cash Back and decide which you think you'd get more out of.  Despite their names, they're both just cash back cards: Miles gives 1.5% on all purchases while the It Cash Back gives 5% on rotating quarterly categories and 1% on everything else.

Message 11 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@tmax2020 wrote:

I believe Bank of America will be a good fit, I do have a checking account with them for 4 years, I'll give it a try.

That's great that you have an established banking relationship with BoA. Depending on your situation, I think a trip to your local branch might yield a good result? You can also apply on line. Personally, I would go in branch in case they needed addtional information from me.

Message 12 of 18
tmax2020
Valued Member

@Slabenstein wrote:

@tmax2020 wrote:

Discover it® Cash Back

@Slabenstein wrote:

@tmax2020 wrote:

Thank you for your response, when I started last year I went to discover for a secured card,  disco denied me. I do get an offer on discover prequalify but I'm afraid to apply because I don't want I am not sure I'll get any approval. I don't want to waste Hard inquiry on my profile but I really do need a new card.

That's exactly what the preapproval page is for: checking your approval odds before you burn an HP.  The Disco prequal is pretty accurate, so it's usually a confident app if the page comes back with a prequal.  What card or cards is their page showing you now?  From the info you've given, it looks like your profile has seen improvement from a year ago, just in terms of gaining credit history.

Discover it® Cash Back

Discover it® Gas & Restaurants

Discover it® Miles

I say go for it.  Depending on income, SL may be better than where Cap1 has you leashed, and a Disco card should have a lot more growth potential.  The It Chrome (Gas & Restraunts) doesn't have a good reward structure compared to competitors, so I'd look at Miles and Cash Back and decide which you think you'd get more out of.  Despite their names, they're both just cash back cards: Miles gives 1.5% on all purchases while the It Cash Back gives 5% on rotating quarterly categories and 1% on everything else.

WOW! I got approved for $3000 with Dicover card. Thank you so much for saving me from Cap 1

Message 13 of 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@tmax2020 wrote:

WOW! I got approved for $3000 with Dicover card. Thank you so much for saving me from Cap 1

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 14 of 18
tmax2020
Valued Member

@AllZero wrote:

@tmax2020 wrote:

Congratulations on your approval!

Thank you so much, you all have been a life saver.  This is really cool forum

Message 15 of 18
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval.  I've had Discover for quite a while, and I've really liked them as an issuer.  Cap1 is what Cap1 is.  Their low-limit starter cards are very useful as a stepping stone when building or rebuilding up to prime issuers, and it seems like they served that purpose for you by establishing a year of revolving credit.  Those cards just aren't going to grow with you.  Disco on the other hand some ppl have carried and PC'd the same card for 20+ years, so even if you pick up other cards in the future they'll still probably have a place in your lineup if you want them to.

Message 16 of 18
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover Cc. $3000 SL is awesome...👍

Message 17 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@tmax2020, welcome to the forums and congrats on your Discover approval.  Sounds like taking that leap paid off 👍

Locking this thread as you have been approved.  Please feel free to start a new thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.