Official NFCU CLI Guide

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Official NFCU CLI Guide

You have a Q?

I have an A!

UPDATED 02/12/2016

Q: Is it possible to know before requesting if my account will be eligible without a HP?

A: If you access your full Equifax  report and look at SP/Promotional Inquiries you will see (NAVY AR) and they will be every 3 months like clock work once you see the first one... IF at any time you are going to have a better chance of a sp increase it will be after that AR has been done.

Q: I currently only have a $1k limit, won't asking for $25k just get my request Flat out Denied or HP for sure because of the large request?

A: All data shows that Navy allows requests up to $25k without review IF your account is eligible so if you request just $5k and it's instantly granted than you have left CL available to you by not asking for the full $25k and getting the instant counter.

Q: I get a message "A CONDITION EXISTS ON MY ACCOUNT AND I NEED TO CALL" Does that mean a SP CLI is not available?

A: This is an INTERNET ERROR with Navy, it has nothing to do with your account being able to get a CLI or not... you need to use Firefox, Chrome, Clear cookies, Clear Browser history and close out and restart in one of those browsers and try again. DO NOT CALL!

Q: I have been thinking about a Second Navy Card OR I applied for a Second Navy Card but was declined?

A: Navy use to allow you to use credit from an existing card to open a 2nd card, but they no longer will move CL's.

Q: When should I apply for NAVCheck/Checking Line of Credit (Navy has changed the name I believe) and for how much?

A: 1. Join Navy. 2. Apply for a Credit Card. 3. Apply for NavCheck 4. ALWAYS ASK FOR $15k (Just like with Credit Cards, Navy will counter if not the full amount and you can't ever ask for to much, it's called a counter for a reason!)

**In some instances for those that are in the low 600's or fresh out of a BK, Navy will deny and not counter a $15k ask but you can go back in and submit another application for $500 or $1k and many have had success getting in the door this way on the CLOC.  If you can get approved at a low amount, then my general rule is usually after your first big CLI on credit card to then ask for the full $15k CL on CLOC.  You request CLI on CLOC by going in like applying for a new CLOC and then the next page will ask if you are applying for new or CLI existing.

Q: When should I apply for my 2nd Navy Card?

A: EITHER when you hit $25k on your first card within 6 months OR After you successfully get your first SP CLI (Usually 3-6 months in my opinion).

**2nd cards are more difficult to get than in the past, some have best luck getting 2 cards back to back right in the beginning

Q: I received NavCheck but not for the full $15k, When should I go back and ask for CLI to $15k again?

A: After you successfully get your first SP CLI on your 1st credit card (It was about 3 months after opening for me)

***If you have high income and are willing to show it... sending in last 2 paystubs via secure message with a large ask or a recon on a 2nd card will go a long way!

Keep in mind an instant $25k approval on a credit card is the most the computer can give but if you send in 2 paystubs and CLI for the max of the card you applied for $50k or $80k if Flagship, they will do a manual review and counter you the real internal limit they will currently offer on that card... Take full advantage of those HP's!

Message 1 of 5,746
5,745 REPLIES 5,745
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can we have "OFFICIAL NFCU CLI - HOW IT WORKS!"

I got two HP and no CLI at 3 months. Very hard not to try again.

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 2 of 5,746
Alaskagurl
New Contributor

I hope thats right Creditaddict, If not I will have like 20 hp's for all that instant. I will not ask for anything for another 5 years lmao...

Message 3 of 5,746
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Alaskagurl wrote:

I hope thats right Creditaddict, If not I will have like 20 hp's for all that instant. I will not ask for anything for another 5 years lmao...

You are one of the latest that I hope confirms my thinking of just asking for $25k right out of the gate because you had to go back 10x and others have done this recently.

The only experience I have is on my partners card and he was at $25k and asking for $35 resulted in 3-5 day and a HP but was approved, so I don't know if that's a over $25k thing or if he just would have gotten the HP regardless.... I hope to soon be adding some more cards so I can test the theory more later possibly! haha but for now....

I think the other added note is Navy doesn't much seem to care about INQ, even if they do pull!

Message 4 of 5,746
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Ya'll are so lucky to get NFCU, so jealous......Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 5,746
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

My experience is this regarding the length of time open before sp's are used.

Opened 12/22 - $2K recon to $5K

Requested CLI 3/10 - HP $7.5K

Requested CLI 4/8   - SP  $10K

Requested CLI 4/24 - SP  $15K

Requested CLI 4/25 - SP  $20K

Requested CLI 4/27 - SP  $22K requested $25K and countered at $22K

So on 4/8 I might as well have requested the full $25K and I would have gotten the counter Smiley Surprised!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 5,746
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I support the making of this thread.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 5,746
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Uggh I am still too scared to hit the button..lol Smiley Wink The success stories are killing me!!!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 8 of 5,746
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I'd had strictly auto-CLIs from a starting limit of 5k up to 10.5K where it was currently.  Decided to give this a try - asked flat out for 25,000 and they countered with 12,500.  Soft pull.  I'll have to keep doing this every once in a while!  Thanks for the tip.

Message 9 of 5,746
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@ creditaddict, thanks for putting this together for our fellow NFCU members.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 5,746
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.