Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED CC Application Question

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

PENFED CC Application Question

So if Penfed ever offers me a preapproval for a CC (yes, I am laughing Smiley LOL) I have a few questions:

I see that the Power Cash Rewards CC offers 2% on all purchases if I am a "PenFed Honors Advantage Member"

(I am a member with 2 savings accounts, just not a PenFed Honors Advantage Member)

I know that one of the ways to be a PenFed Honors Advantage Member is to have an Access America Checking account with $500 dead in there to avoid fees.

So my question is this: Say I got a pre-approval email/mailer from PenFed for their PCR card. During the app process, does it ask you to apply for the Access America Checking account to get the 2% on that card? Or is applying for the AA checking account something you need to do prior to apping for their card?

Also - does PenFed use ChexSystems for their checking account?

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: PENFED CC Application Question

Hmmmm...

Well I can add that I started with just Savings and the PCR.  Then app'd and got the Gold Card.  I opened my checking account as you mentioned after I was already a member to lock in the 2% and it look all of 60 seconds.  I don't recall anything extraneous to add the account but to your point, I did not ask nor do I have a Chexsystems issue so they could have checked and I wouldn't have known it.  

If they offer you the card, you can get the card and the process will not include the "hey, wanna get a checking account too" verbiage.  They are seperate and the prescreened offer will stand alone.  If they do and you accept, you can easily add the checking at that time....as a seperate transaction, or after the fact.  I had my PCR about 3 months then added checking and the 2% transition was the next day.

Their offers come out quarterly and the next wave should start APR 1.  I was told that most prescreened offers for new cards/additional credit come after your accounts have aged 6 months.  

Message 2 of 3
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: PENFED CC Application Question

@cashorcharge wrote:

Hmmmm...

Well I can add that I started with just Savings and the PCR.  Then app'd and got the Gold Card.  I opened my checking account as you mentioned after I was already a member to lock in the 2% and it look all of 60 seconds.  I don't recall anything extraneous to add the account but to your point, I did not ask nor do I have a Chexsystems issue so they could have checked and I wouldn't have known it.  

If they offer you the card, you can get the card and the process will not include the "hey, wanna get a checking account too" verbiage.  They are seperate and the prescreened offer will stand alone.  If they do and you accept, you can easily add the checking at that time....as a seperate transaction, or after the fact.  I had my PCR about 3 months then added checking and the 2% transition was the next day.

Their offers come out quarterly and the next wave should start APR 1.  I was told that most prescreened offers for new cards/additional credit come after your accounts have aged 6 months.  

Thanks @cashorcharge ! Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.