Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Credit Card? 🤔

tag
jazzyvar84
Regular Contributor

PenFed Credit Card? 🤔

My Equifax score is currently 666 (the devil, I know). I really want to apply for a PenFed card. Do you think my score is decent enough? Utilization across the board is currently at 31% and I have one hospital bill in collections.
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed Credit Card? 🤔

I'm afraid with just the main pieces of information that you have provided, it may not bode well.

Keep in mind that the score is one of many elements that are considered when reviewing an application.

My recommendation is to evaluate your overall profile to increase that score, reduce utilization and address the collection item for better results.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that your Equifax FICO 9 score because that is what they use and PenFed is really weird when it comes to approvals. My Equifax FICO 9 is 684 and they shot me down 2 weeks ago. This was their latest message to me " We do not grant credit to any applicant on the terms you requested" which I have no clue what that means.

I do have 1 charge off account that is closed on my credit report but that drops off in the next couple of months but again, PenFed is really weird with their approvals. If you can afford the hardpull, go for and good luck.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many data points in the the big Penfed data thread says any negative item must be 2 years ago to be considered. 

Deal with the medical collection. Try a "paid for delete" It will give you the benefit of a cleaner report and the score boost. 

Message 4 of 9
Openwater
Established Contributor

@jazzyvar84 wrote:
My Equifax score is currently 666 (the devil, I know). I really want to apply for a PenFed card. Do you think my score is decent enough? Utilization across the board is currently at 31% and I have one hospital bill in collections.

I've been back and forth with applying with them, and from what I've gathered the better option seems to be to become a member with them first. Establish a relationship for 6-12 months then give them a shot. If they reject, wait 6 months and repeat. Cheers!

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 5 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Good luck on whatever you decide

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Based on the info you provided, I would guess they would deny you at this time. But I don't know if their factors are fully understood. I was rejected with a higher score, no derogs and low utilization; but I also had severe and recent credit-seeking behavior at the time. I have been toying with applying for their Platinum card (5% on gas), but a little chicken and not sure it's worth the risk, given that I am planning to apply for Ducks Unlimited later this year. Whatever you decide, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 9
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@jazzyvar84 wrote:

PenFed is conservative and selective.  I agree with the above that you need to improve some credit factors before you'd be a solid contender with them.  (Collections; ultilization; higher score.)  If you're prior military-service, it seems that helps.  If you're not, definitely suggest opening banking accounts, using them for awhile (they have good banking accounts), and once they get to know you try applying for credit cards.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 9
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@jazzyvar84 wrote:

Personally, I would park a few dollars with them and do your time waiting on a pre-approval.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.