Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Question

I am full of questions tonight, probably should have put them all together but this is a different bank so here I am.
How long after becoming a member should I wait to apply for a card? I saw they only pull EQ and my score is currently 667 with 2 inq in the last year.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed Question

IMO immediately after becoming a member as to become a member it takes a EQ hard pull and they use that same HP for credit productis/loans good for at least 30 days.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I didn't realize that before I joined.. guess I should ready a bit more before pulling the trigger. I guess I"ll apply and hope for the best. Was thinking I should wait until I hit 680ish but too late for that now. Thank you!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulled the trigger.. and denied. Oh well. I'll try again in a few months.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

At least give recon a go. If you get a survey, make sure you respond to it as well. I got my PenFed Platinum card on recon. Went from declined to a 5K SL a year ago and now I'm at 20K on it. 

Message 5 of 9
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Elktech is right. MAKE SURE you do the survey, and Express your extreme disappointment when you fill it out!!!!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually joined and immediately applied for a card and then an auto loan the next day. Later I noticed on my report that I actually got TWO HPs from them, one on the 19th and one on the 20th. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Message 7 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually joined and immediately applied for a card and then an auto loan the next day. Later I noticed on my report that I actually got TWO HPs from them, one on the 19th and one on the 20th. Not sure if that is normal or not.

The HP for membership is good for at least 30 days for credit card apps, auto & real estate departments do their own separate HPs.

Message 8 of 9
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

As others have said, make sure you fill out the survey and note that you're disappointed. Many have had good luck on recon. Penfed has been great to work with.

The two HP thing, I know Dave said that the departments do separate HPs, but when I joined in January 2017...I opened 2 CCs, an auto loan, and OD protection on 1 HP...so I don't know. I think back then the HP was good for up to 90 days (there was discussion about 30/60/90 duration). I'm pretty sure Penfed changed some of their protocols though shortly thereafter, maybe the departmental HPs was one of the changes.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.