Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed or Mercury..Chances of approval with penfed

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Penfed or Mercury..Chances of approval with penfed

About Penfed, for the checking account requirements to get honors advantage and the 2% CB, it's either $500 minimum balance OR $500 in qualifying direct deposits monthly.

As for another 2% CB option, there's also the Dover Cashback Mastercard from Dover FCU (anyone can join Friends of Bombay Hook, which is an affiliated organization of Dover and by joining them you then qualify for Dover if you don't already qualify via other means. I believe the cost was $15.).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 15
scford

I little side note to you regarding the Mercury card limit. I have had my card for a while. My last auto CLI was back in July and my current CL is $6,650.00.  

Message 12 of 15
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

Mercury seems to be going after a lot of near prime and people who have been making progress in their rebuilds with a couple of cards already on that 2% card.  About 7-8mo into my rebuild I started getting the pre approval 2%, no AF, $4k limit mailers and at various sites. Just opened a SavorOne last month though and now I'm getting $2500 offers for that card.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 13 of 15
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@user979797 wrote:

My score with PenFed is 722 based on their last pull which is still the score it's showing.

I had no idea that even with the free checking you had to keep 500 or more to qualify for the 2% cash back. I may look into other options I have enough accounts with minimum balance requirements and do not want anymore. Thank you for the info. Smiley Happy Ugh Mercury

Another card that gives 2 pct cb is the Bread CB Amex, i just got that one a few months ago. the underwriting for that card seems lax, i see a lot of approvals lately.

@user979797 I dont like amex for my general non catagory spend, I know they are accepted most places but... many places they are not.

I think the FNBO evergreen (visa signature) or Paypal Mastercard or Apple Card (Mastercard)  are more ideal payment networksfor the when all else fails/doesn't apply though applepay is also not a sure thing.

FNBO does pre-qual, Paypal is HP only if approved and Applecard is HP only if offered and you accept.

Message 14 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Beefy1212 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@user979797 wrote:

My score with PenFed is 722 based on their last pull which is still the score it's showing.

I had no idea that even with the free checking you had to keep 500 or more to qualify for the 2% cash back. I may look into other options I have enough accounts with minimum balance requirements and do not want anymore. Thank you for the info. Smiley Happy Ugh Mercury

Another card that gives 2 pct cb is the Bread CB Amex, i just got that one a few months ago. the underwriting for that card seems lax, i see a lot of approvals lately.

@user979797 I dont like amex for my general non catagory spend, I know they are accepted most places but... many places they are not.

I think the FNBO evergreen (visa signature) or Paypal Mastercard or Apple Card (Mastercard)  are more ideal payment networksfor the when all else fails/doesn't apply though applepay is also not a sure thing.

FNBO does pre-qual, Paypal is HP only if approved and Applecard is HP only if offered and you accept.

Maybe abroad, but here in the US, I've only had one instance where Amex wasn't accepted - it was a local mom and pop shop - so it makes sense. Otherwise, it's been accepted everywhere. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.