Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed still only pulls Equifax?

tag
followgreatness
Contributor

Penfed still only pulls Equifax?

Or is it EQ with possible others? Looking towards membership and auto finance.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed still only pulls Equifax?

They use Equifax FICO 9. Which is a hard score to find for free, or even paid. You want to peek at it before you app you have to pay MyFico. That’s the only place I am aware of that has FICO9 (most other paces has FICO8)

Message 2 of 11
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@followgreatness wrote:

Or is it EQ with possible others? Looking towards membership and auto finance.

EQ FICO 9 Scores 

The only lender I know of who gives FICO 9 Scores besides myFICO is NFCU Smiley Happy. I just checked my EQ FICO 9 Score a couple min ago!

Message 3 of 11
followgreatness
Contributor

@FitYNABer - where?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The differences between FICO 8 and FICO 9 aren’t large enough that I would waste $30+ on a myFICO report. If your EQ FICO 8 is 700 or more, your chances are good that your EQ 9 is sufficient. 

Whether PenFed will approve you no matter what your scores are though is a different matter altogether. PenFed has been the source of a lot of frustrating denials for members here which is why a number of us call them PenDread. 

Message 5 of 11
followgreatness
Contributor

There are such bad reviews of Penfed on some of the other sites like Wallethub. Yet, there seem to be current members with good things to say about Penfed and a lot of folks who applied, got denied but really wanted Penfed. I am very confused. 

My FICO 9 score on EQ is 791 so I am confident. But don't want to waste my time if the CU has bad cust. service and members with bad experiences/horror stories. 

Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

They've also been known to pull TU on rare occasions. This would depend on whether the primary CR (EQ) is inaccesible or other issues when retrieving the file arise.
Message 7 of 11
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@followgreatness wrote:

@FitYNABer - where?

Are you asking where is the EQ FICO 9 located on NFCU website? If so, you would login and select "view my FICO score" above the CC you have with them. 

Well I might see the confusion, caveat is you have to have a CC with NFCU lol ooppsie!

Message 8 of 11
followgreatness
Contributor

Confused about Penfed - CC/Membership/Auto

There are such bad reviews of Penfed on some of the other sites like Wallethub. Yet, there seem to be current members with good things to say about Penfed and a lot of folks who applied, got denied but really wanted Penfed. I am very confused. 

My FICO 9 score on EQ is 791 so I am confident. But don't want to waste my time if the CU has bad cust. service and members with bad experiences/horror stories. 

Message 9 of 11
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Confused about Penfed - CC/Membership/Auto

@followgreatness wrote:

Dont feel too confident. Denied here with 800 score. They look at a lot of other things.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.