Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning My Next Move... Help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Planning My Next Move... Help?

Unless you have a 5k card already in your house of cards, I would not app for a Venture...For that specific card, they want to see at least one 5k card reporting on your reports.  It'll be a shame wasting those hard pulls. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless you have a 5k card already in your house of cards, I would not app for a Venture...For that specific card, they want to see at least one 5k card reporting on your reports.  It'll be a shame wasting those hard pulls. 

I have a 15k AU and a 1k personal card. Would that still count?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 15k AU and a 1k personal card. Would that still count?

It might, I'm not sure. There is only one way to find out Smiley Wink You have to start with someone, so might as well take a chance on Capital One or Chase (or both).

Edit: Your income might be too low to get decent limits though.

Message 13 of 16
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Usually we recommend not getting unnecessary inqs, but we cannot know until you try because you are 18, have low income, and low account age.

I recommend applying for Chase Freedom first.

Next, Citibank (maybe Thank You preferred because its easier to get). Double Cash is a 2% cash back card if paid in full, but I don't know if it requires excellent credit.

Lastly, Cap1's Venture One's minimum is 3,000..

You can try for Venture One first or Quicksilver One. If you are approved, go right back and apply for the other. They triple regardless so get 2 cards for the triple.

If you are denied the Venture One, go right back and apply for the Platinum MasterCard.

Your inqs should be spaced with those app suggestions, having 2-3 on each bureau.

App in that order because of some being inq sensitive.

The reason I suggested those is to see who'll bite with a file/income like yours. Also, it can only help towards building your own thick file to have a few cards you can grow.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:

Usually we recommend not getting unnecessary inqs, but we cannot know until you try because you are 18, have low income, and low account age.

Next, Citibank (maybe Thank You preferred because its easier to get). Double Cash is a 2% cash back card if paid in full, but I don't know if it requires excellent credit.

You can try for Venture One first or Quicksilver One. If you are approved, go right back and apply for the other. They triple regardless so get 2 cards for the triple.

If you are denied the Venture One, go right back and apply for the Platinum MasterCard.

Your inqs should be spaced with those app suggestions, having 2-3 on each bureau.

The reason I suggested those is to see who'll bite with a file/income like yours. Also, it can only help towards building your own thick file to have a few cards you can grow.

i still say you have a better chance with capital one than with any other creditor

Message 15 of 16
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

i still say you have a better chance with capital one than with any other creditor

Yes, but you never know. This will be good for data points and he/she doesn't really lose doing as I suggested. By the time he/she gets to Cap1, his/her inqs will still be low(they aren't known to be inq sensitive anyways). If he/she manages to get more than the Capital One, then they're on the road to building a thicker file early. If not, the small inqs will be off their report in 2 yrs. Lastly, I don't see him/her getting huge limits so maybe multiple cards can help with the trip and utilization. 

These are just my suggestions and what I'd do. Ultimately they need to do what they're comfortable with.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.