Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approval + Denial - Bank of America Cash Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Approval + Denial - Bank of America Cash Rewards

I don't know why I applied...but I read some really good things about the Cash Rewards CC from BofA and decided to at least check if I was pre-approved.  Sure, that's all I'll do...LOL

I am rebuilding and have had a string of good luck recently.  I checked Chase and AMEX, neither provided any pre-approval offers and I didn't expect them to with a recent Chapter 7 discharge.  BUT, Bank of America did find a pre-approval, which I know is not a guarantee, but it is better than a no.

So, I applied and was quickly denied.  They pulled Experian and after this pull my score dropped by 10 points.  Eeek!  I feel pretty dumb for applying (after I did of course)...

I may give them a ring and see if they will work with me, but I doubt they will (for now).

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
aircobra
Regular Contributor

Re: Pre-Approval + Denial - Bank of America Cash Rewards

Their 'customized offers' are not actual pre-approvals (you can tell because they don't show a single APR after giving them your information). I just checked it and they "recommended" the same card.

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aircobra wrote:

Their 'customized offers' are not actual pre-approvals (you can tell because they don't show a single APR after giving them your information). I just checked it and they "recommended" the same card.

Darn the luck.  Hopefully this helps someone else.  Don't do it, take it from me!  Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 7
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@aircobra wrote:

Darn the luck.  Hopefully this helps someone else.  Don't do it, take it from me!  Smiley Happy 

Sorry OP but your BK7 hasn't even been discharged a year yet that's too soon for BoA.

Message 4 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Go to the BoA prequal site.  Enter your dogs name. Make up any info you want.  You will still get the same results.  Sorry OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Go to the BoA prequal site.  Enter your dogs name. Make up any info you want.  You will still get the same results.  Sorry OP

Ha! Right you are... Whoooopsie.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigpoppa09 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@aircobra wrote:

Sorry OP but your BK7 hasn't even been discharged a year yet that's too soon for BoA.

Indeed.  I found out that it wasn't the bankruptcy per se, but that Bank of America was notified of my filing.  I knew I burned bridges with AMEX and Chase, but I thought I was okay with Bank of America.  It took some thinking, but I do remember a card way back when with MBNA/FIA.  I just read that MBNA/FIA were acquired by BOA.  That account went to collections with Cavalry SPV I LLC and was included in my BK7.  All water under the bridge now, but I suppose I'm blacklisted with AMEX, Chase, and BOA for some time (maybe forever).  Darn it...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.