donkort
Valued Contributor

Prequalification for AMEX

Just did a prequalification.  

Was offered:

1.  American Express Green Card

2.  Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card

3.  Blue Cash Everyday Card

4.  Delta Sky Miles American Express Gold Card.

What do you folks feel is the advantage that AMEX cards have over Visa cards?

Thanks, in advance.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prequalification for AMEX

The fact that it's an Amex and not a Visa! Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Has nothing to do with it being amex. It's about the rewards system for travel.

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I was being silly by stating the obvious. I know what OP was asking.

Message 4 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I was being silly by stating the obvious. I know what OP was asking.

I know. I was responding to them.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its all about getting the most bang for your buck....and Ego.  I always wanted an AMEX.....grew up where AMEX was the top gun credit card to have so it was on my bucket list so I got the Blue everyday preferred, gold and green charge card.   Bucket list completed.   

Also got the Blue Everday because of what I get back from using it at stores, etc plus the sign up bonus.  So its all about what do you get back in return for using the card is how you should look at it.

Message 6 of 38
donkort
Valued Contributor

I know.....it's hard to advise somebody about this sort of thing.  

I sort of feel like pulling the trigger....mostly for the Green Card--but this 790 is so new to me!  I was a 724 EQ, 711 EX, and 677 TU in 2009--the first two my highest previous scores. Never thought I'd get to 790.  

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest with you the best choice from all of them it depends only on your needs and spending. I would reccomend the Green Amex. First of all it is multipurpose card and the rewards are awesome. At some point later you will be able to upgrade to the gold where you will access some extra features. I am happily using my Gold Amex on daily base and getting a great discounts for airfare and hotel stays. Congrats on the pre-approval! 

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pick the one with the best signing bonuses based on the min amount of spend that you think you can accomplish in the first 90days.   AMEX only allows you to get signing points once.   So if you pick green then 6 months from now you see the Gold with some good points for opening you will not be allowed to collect those signing points. 

Message 9 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pick the one with the best signing bonuses based on the min amount of spend that you think you can accomplish in the first 90days.   AMEX only allows you to get signing points once.   So if you pick green then 6 months from now you see the Gold with some good points for opening you will not be allowed to collect those signing points. 

Each card has its own SUB and you can get each SUB once. If he gets the green now, he can get the gold SUB later. As long as he never got a SUB for it before.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.