Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Comenity CLI's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Comenity CLI's

I have 5 Comenity cards, below are the details about when opened, limit and spend.

10/2015 - Overstock - Approved for $1000, immediately asked for CLI, went to $1200.  Have run $900 through card, PIF 

10/2015 - Express - Approved for $250 through mail offer, no hard pull.  Have asked for CLI 3 times, 11/15, 02/16, 04/16 - all denied due to "new account" have run about $700 through the card, PIF

12/2015 - Buckle - apped in store for $250 approval, asked for CLI 1/16, 03/16 all denied due to "new account", have run $100 through card, PIF

12/2015 - Maurices - My fiance was hired as an assistant manager (she is filing BK right now to follow my plan to rebuild) so I got her the card to pick up new clothing she needs, she has run about $500 through the card and currently holds a $200 balance.  Asked for CLI 1/16 denied due to "new account"

04/2016 - Victorias Secret - SCT to get some bikini's for my fiance, have not tried for CLI - currently $150 balance but will PIF before statement hits.

So my question is, how do I get these limits up?  Why did Overstock start so high, give me a CLI right away and the others have not?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about Comenity CLI's

The way it worked for me was to wait for nine (I think?) statement cuts, then ask for a CLI.  After the first CLI, it's been ~3 statements each time I've gotten one.  I've gotten them pretty reliably that way on GameStop, Eddie Bauer, and Express.  They've gone from $250 - $1450 in $400 increments (so nothing spectacular, but it's a store card I won't be putting that much on, generally speaking).

J. Crew sat at $250 for almost 12 months or more, then went all the way up to $4250.  

Overstock started at $500 and went up to $950, so I didn't even have as great a starting limit as you there.  I only opened Overstock in the last six months I think.

I also have Lenovo, which I used for a laptop purchase, started at $1800 and that's where it is.  I haven't tried a CLI on that one, and not sure what would happen (but don't intend to use it again anytime soon anyway).

I wouldn't plan on most of these cards going up to tremendously high levels, but you can certainly read about other people's experiences here.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your personal feedback.  I guess I thought a lot of the members here were getting their CLI's right after opening and then religously every few months.  But, I guess I was misinformed.  I know these cards wont get crazy high but Id like them to be around $1000... that way if I want to spend a couple hundred bucks at the store I can have a month or two to pay it off with out a maxed out card sitting on my report.

Message 3 of 7
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

My understanding was to wait for 9 statements before they'd give even one CLI and my experience bore that out -- except Overstock and J. Crew, which seemed to follow different patterns.  But that was when I started getting these cards, which was over a year ago.  Maybe things have changed.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

All Comenity cards are different.  You can't count on getting a cli from all of them on one day.  Never happened for me.  Overstock seems to start you out with alot more than you'll ever use.  I still ask for cli's since it's good padding for othe purchases.  But remember to buy somethimg from all of them or you will not get an increase.  Some get cli's on a regular basis with certain cards and you will never know until you start clicking and getting the increases.  JCrew started me out at 750.00 and now I'm at 7k.  I have not had the card a year yet.  Also get regular cli's from Overstock, Wayfair Vickies & Beall's.  Hubby likes the shirts from Beall's so I will keep the card since I save quite a bit on purchases.  Also have some Comentiy Visa's and clicked for cli's after a about 6 months.  And they were 4k-4.5k each.  Not too bad.  Be careful, they're addicting.  I use most of them on a regular basis.  Good luck. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

It took me about nine months to receive increases on Express and after that every two months.  

Buckle, It took me around 6 months I believe.  I do not shop there much and when I do I buy something on clearance.  Just give it some more time and they will begin to up those limits.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 7
NichelleN
Established Contributor

It took over 6 months before I saw an increase on Victoria's Secret at all. Overstock was like clockwork until a sudden slowdown. It's been almost 3 months since the last one.

More than enough credit.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.