Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover Card CLI

tag
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Question about Discover Card CLI

I have been wanting to get a limit increase on my Discover Card but the last 2 times I've asked I was denied for having not spent enough of my current available limit. Now I'm curious if anyone has any data points on what Discover might deem an acceptable amount of one's limit to qualify for a CLI.  Is there perhaps a certain percentage of one's current limit we should target spending? 

I've had the card since June 2020. Starting limit was $13,500.  At 12 months due to certain 2020 CLI Covid Rules (at the time you had to wait 12 months to be eligible for your 1st increase, this has now changed) I asked for my first limit increase. It was denied for my card not being old enough. After checking in on this forum it was recommended to try again after I got my 12th statement, so I did and I got denied for not spending enough of my current limit. So in month 13 I spent approximately $300 and I tried again and got a $4000 increase ($3500 automatically and did a phone call and double dipped for $500 more) making my limit $17,500. When I first got the card I had a goal to get the limit to $20,000. I am just $2500 away from this goal but I'm stuck.  

Fastforward 8 months to March 2022, I decided to ask for another increase and it was denied for not spending enough of my current limit. That was both fair and true. Because I was getting some better multipliers on other cards I have in Qtr 1 of 2022 for the categories they chose I barely used the Discover card at all the 1st qtr of 2022. I had racked up a lot of charges in 2021 Qtr 4 but that looked to have no impact on my request in Qtr 1.  So March and April 2022 I tried to spend $300 to $400 each month and asked again both times I was denied a CLI for not spending enough of my current limit, so what worked last time wasn't working this time. I haven't asked again since April. I figured if I'm not spending more the result would likely be the same.  Has anyone had any success in finding out how to get past this hurdle? Not sure if I need to spend 10% of my total limit, 30%, etc? Any data you can share is much appreciated!  

*FYI:  I follow AZEO so this is the card I use to report a balance each month. Other than that small balance I usually pay the card in full then pay the small balance off after the statement cuts. I usually only spend on the 5% categories so no more than $1500 in a 3 month period but usually closer to $300 to $400 a month. I checked the preapproval on the Discover website and I'm preapproved for another Discover card but I am not interested in a 2nd Discover card but just want to grow this one a little more. Thank you in advance for your insight!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about Discover Card CLI

@Jordan23ww wrote:

I have been wanting to get a limit increase on my Discover Card but the last 2 times I've asked I was denied for having not spent enough of my current available limit. Now I'm curious if anyone has any data points on what Discover might deem an acceptable amount of one's limit to qualify for a CLI.  Is there perhaps a certain percentage of one's current limit we should target spending? 

I've had the card since June 2020. Starting limit was $13,500.  At 12 months due to certain 2020 CLI Covid Rules (at the time you had to wait 12 months to be eligible for your 1st increase, this has now changed) I asked for my first limit increase. It was denied for my card not being old enough. After checking in on this forum it was recommended to try again after I got my 12th statement, so I did and I got denied for not spending enough of my current limit. So in month 13 I spent approximately $300 and I tried again and got a $4000 increase ($3500 automatically and did a phone call and double dipped for $500 more) making my limit $17,500. When I first got the card I had a goal to get the limit to $20,000. I am just $2500 away from this goal but I'm stuck.  

Fastforward 8 months to March 2022, I decided to ask for another increase and it was denied for not spending enough of my current limit. That was both fair and true. Because I was getting some better multipliers on other cards I have in Qtr 1 of 2022 for the categories they chose I barely used the Discover card at all the 1st qtr of 2022. I had racked up a lot of charges in 2021 Qtr 4 but that looked to have no impact on my request in Qtr 1.  So March and April 2022 I tried to spend $300 to $400 each month and asked again both times I was denied a CLI for not spending enough of my current limit, so what worked last time wasn't working this time. I haven't asked again since April. I figured if I'm not spending more the result would likely be the same.  Has anyone had any success in finding out how to get past this hurdle? Not sure if I need to spend 10% of my total limit, 30%, etc? Any data you can share is much appreciated!  

*FYI:  I follow AZEO so this is the card I use to report a balance each month. Other than that small balance I usually pay the card in full then pay the small balance off after the statement cuts. I usually only spend on the 5% categories so no more than $1500 in a 3 month period but usually closer to $300 to $400 a month. I checked the preapproval on the Discover website and I'm preapproved for another Discover card but I am not interested in a 2nd Discover card but just want to grow this one a little more. Thank you in advance for your insight!

No one can tell you how to get a cli from Miss Disco, spend or no. Doing BTs sometimes help but not always.

I'm surprised you don't want a double cash back card for a year lol.  I would get the second card and after a year see if you are eligible for a cli then combine limits and close the new oneSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 18
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

No one can tell you how to get a cli from Miss Disco, spend or no. Doing BTs sometimes help but not always.

I'm surprised you don't want a double cash back card for a year lol.  I would get the second card and after a year see if you are eligible for a cli then combine limits and close the new oneSmiley Wink

Mysterious Miss Disco. My first year ends in june, 10 pct back on gas is monster right now.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 3 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

Mysterious Miss Disco. My first year ends in june, 10 pct back on gas is monster right now.

Lol you don't saySmiley Wink. I'm using Disco at 5% right now with occasional Citi CCSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 18
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit thanks for chiming in. Discover is ALWAYS sending me balance transfer offers. Since I pay in full I literally have nothing to even transfer. Last month I had my Amex BCP annual fee hit for $95 so my reported balance across my 21 cards was $110. Normally it is $15 from me doing AZEO.

There's multiple reasons I don't want another Discover Card. I'm trying to get under 5/24 for the Chase Ink Cash, I already have 5 cards that give 2% back already, sometimes I struggle to max out the 5% categories as is due to what has been chosen lately so I wouldn't benefit from having 2 Discover cards/ $3000 available each quarter. I was hoping to grow this one card. Thanks again though for your input!  

Message 5 of 18
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@SUPERSQUID you picked a fantastic time to have the double cash back match offer. That 10% on gas is clutch right now!  Best wishes to you whenever you go for your first increase.  I suggest spending as much as you can in month 12 and letting that 12th statement post before you ask for an increase. Best wishes to you when the time comes!

Message 6 of 18
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@SUPERSQUID you picked a fantastic time to have the double cash back match offer. That 10% on gas is clutch right now!  Best wishes to you whenever you go for your first increase.  I suggest spending as much as you can in month 12 and letting that 12th statement post before you ask for an increase. Best wishes to you when the time comes!

Thank you for the well wishes. I tried for my first cli at 9 months and was denied, but at some time i will try again, I'm a glutton for punishment.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

Back in the day when Discover CLI's were the talk of this town, there were dozens of different theories being bandied about. People were having such different experiences. Some got big CLI's with heavy use, some got big CLI's with light use, some got big CLI's with no use. Some, like me and @AverageJoesCredit, couldn't buy a big CLI no matter what we tried.

I eventually came to the conclusion that Discover's CLI "policies" were written by a roomful of monkeys with keyboards.

In the years since, nothing has caused me to waver from that conclusion.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

Back in the day when Discover CLI's were the talk of this town, there were dozens of different theories being bandied about. People were having such different experiences. Some got big CLI's with heavy use, some got big CLI's with light use, some got big CLI's with no use. Some, like me and @AverageJoesCredit, couldn't buy a big CLI no matter what we tried.

I eventually came to the conclusion that Discover's CLI "policies" were written by a roomful of monkeys with keyboards.

In the years since, nothing has caused me to waver from that conclusion.

Ah yes the good old daysSmiley Wink. Back then we began our beloved journey with the South Jamaican Special at a robust $300 which grew into an AJC Special at a blissful $500 , onwards to the @joltdude Special at $3000 until we all clamored for the BrutalBodyShots Special at $5000Smiley Wink

To wit, she is as mysterious as ever just not as funSmiley Sad

Message 9 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@Jordan23ww wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit thanks for chiming in. Discover is ALWAYS sending me balance transfer offers. Since I pay in full I literally have nothing to even transfer. Last month I had my Amex BCP annual fee hit for $95 so my reported balance across my 21 cards was $110. Normally it is $15 from me doing AZEO.

There's multiple reasons I don't want another Discover Card. I'm trying to get under 5/24 for the Chase Ink Cash, I already have 5 cards that give 2% back already, sometimes I struggle to max out the 5% categories as is due to what has been chosen lately so I wouldn't benefit from having 2 Discover cards/ $3000 available each quarter. I was hoping to grow this one card. Thanks again though for your input!  

No worries my friendSmiley Happy. I'm so past thinking in terms of how much rewards I can get , it's fun just to get a new card for the collection..once you get past.....6.....lol it's on Smiley Happy. I think I'm at 36 now 😁

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.