Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Amex member pre-qual popups

tag
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Question regarding Amex member pre-qual popups

So I was approved for a Delta Gold yesterday and now when I browse to pre-qualify offers I get a different page. Right now I'm seeing a popup that says "Consider the bar raised. Check out our latest offers." with a Blue Cash Preferred Card Earn $300 back and a ton of white space under that.

What I'm wondering is, is this an actual pre-qualified offer - or merely a promotion for the blue cash preferred? If it's a pre-qual, I'd be all over it, but I don't want to waste another hard pull and be denied.

My wife has a Amex Gold card and I browsed to the same location and the has the same popup for the blue cash preferred. And an upgrade offer for the Amex platinum.

Can anyone answer this difinitively? Thanks guys!

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Re: Question regarding Amex member pre-qual popups

So I guess my question is - how do you know which cards you're pre-qualified for if you're already an Amex member?

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 2 of 9
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Nevermind, figured it out. Thanks anyways.

(For those that might see this - if you see "get a decsion in 30 seconds" - you're most likely pre-qualified. If you see something else (Click apply now - the wording will be on the top) you're probably not pre-qualified)

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

The definitive answer (IME) is the wording " ______, you're pre-approved.  Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" when clicking on the apply button. 

Message 4 of 9
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

The definitive answer (IME) is the wording " ______, you're pre-approved.  Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" when clicking on the apply button. 

This was the exact wording I received when I got the offer.  I also had the wording "You are pre approved for the Blue Card Preferred", along with the $300 bonus offer at the bottom of my account page to encourage me to apply (which is what I ended up doing)

2D0822E4-C6DD-412C-BB23-7A1991880C99.jpeg

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 5 of 9
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

+1 Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 6 of 9
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Thanks! So I've read the wording will switch from "It's easy to expand your relationship" to "Get a decision in 30 seconds" (Wording from memory) if you're pre-approved. So what we're really looking for is "You are pre-approved for..."?

Can anyone else clarify as I've now read both. I see how "you are pre-approved" is a difinitive answer, however - is "Get a decision in 30 seconds" also one? Or perhaps Amex sees you are credit worthy and wants to verify before approving you, versus pre-approval?

My wife's account shows the "Get a decision in 30 seconds" versus mine which says "It's easy to expand your relationship". She's had a gold card for over a year (nearly two), so I'm inclined to believe she'd be approved almost instantly for most Amex cards. But for all I know, I'm wrong.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Message 7 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AlanGJP wrote:

Thanks! So I've read the wording will switch from "It's easy to expand your relationship" to "Get a decision in 30 seconds" (Wording from memory) if you're pre-approved. So what we're really looking for is "You are pre-approved for..."?

Can anyone else clarify as I've now read both. I see how "you are pre-approved" is a difinitive answer, however - is "Get a decision in 30 seconds" also one? Or perhaps Amex sees you are credit worthy and wants to verify before approving you, versus pre-approval?

My wife's account shows the "Get a decision in 30 seconds" versus mine which says "It's easy to expand your relationship". She's had a gold card for over a year (nearly two), so I'm inclined to believe she'd be approved almost instantly for most Amex cards. But for all I know, I'm wrong.

The actual phrasing is either "ZeroQuest, you are pre-approved! Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds."  or "Applying to expand your membership with us is easy, ZeroQuest".

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@AlanGJP wrote:

See above bolded section. 

If you or DW are logged into your respective AmEx account profiles and you click the APPLY icon on the product that piques your interest, those are the exact words to look for to determine a pre-approval offer.  

That said, if your profile supports an AmEx CC without relying so much on the pre-approved indicator and all the other prompts display, then just pull the trigger - YEMV.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.