Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent data points on bypassing 5/24 in branch with Chase

tag
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

Recent data points on bypassing 5/24 in branch with Chase

Good afternoon all,

I am interested in adding a Chase Sapphire Reserve to my cards but I am right at 5/24 currently.  My most recent cards are as follows:

X1 card $40K limit opened on 1/5/2022

Pen Fed Power Cash $25K limit opened on 12/27/2020

Amex Gold NPSL opened on 11/9/2020

Amex Plat NPSL opened on 10/29/2020

USAA Visa $4,500 limit opened on 10/23/2020

I am only about 9 weeks away from being under 5/24 and can wait if needed but I was planning on opening a new personal checking / savings at Chase this week because I have become frustrated with USAA lately.  I am going to open their Sapphire checking and was wondering if there was any chance to get approved for my CSR when I open the account or if I should just wait the 9 weeks to be clear of 5/24?

Additional data points.

I currently have a Chase Amazon Prime card since 6/9/2020 and no other Chase relationships ever. 

My credit is currently EQ 841 / TU 832 / EX 786

I have only been building my cedit profile for the last 3 years so average age of account is pretty low on EX only showing 1 year 9 months.  TU shows 5 years 5 months and EQ shows 9 years 6 months.  

Hard Pulls: 8 in last 24 months and 4 in last 12 months

Income is not an issue

I never carry any balances as I pay in full daily on all cards, but of course occasional balances show up just because several of my cards are used regularly and I do not track when they close each month.

Do you guys see any risk with the short average age of account on Experian and what are the chances of bypassing 5/24?

Thanks!

Bill 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Recent data points on bypassing 5/24 in branch with Chase

The only reliable known way to bypass the Chase 5/24 rule is with a pre-approval. 

Without a pre-approval, you have near zero chance of approval.

Message 2 of 10
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

The only reliable known way to bypass the Chase 5/24 rule is with a pre-approval. 

Appreciate the insight.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

Pre-approval does not always means approval. However, YMMV.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@bilwilvegas wrote:

Good afternoon all,

I am interested in adding a Chase Sapphire Reserve to my cards but I am right at 5/24 currently.  My most recent cards are as follows:

X1 card $40K limit opened on 1/5/2022

Pen Fed Power Cash $25K limit opened on 12/27/2020

Amex Gold NPSL opened on 11/9/2020

Amex Plat NPSL opened on 10/29/2020

USAA Visa $4,500 limit opened on 10/23/2020

I am only about 9 weeks away from being under 5/24 and can wait if needed but I was planning on opening a new personal checking / savings at Chase this week because I have become frustrated with USAA lately.  I am going to open their Sapphire checking and was wondering if there was any chance to get approved for my CSR when I open the account or if I should just wait the 9 weeks to be clear of 5/24?

Additional data points.

I currently have a Chase Amazon Prime card since 6/9/2020 and no other Chase relationships ever. 

My credit is currently EQ 841 / TU 832 / EX 786

I have only been building my cedit profile for the last 3 years so average age of account is pretty low on EX only showing 1 year 9 months.  TU shows 5 years 5 months and EQ shows 9 years 6 months.  

Hard Pulls: 8 in last 24 months and 4 in last 12 months

Income is not an issue

I never carry any balances as I pay in full daily on all cards, but of course occasional balances show up just because several of my cards are used regularly and I do not track when they close each month.

Do you guys see any risk with the short average age of account on Experian and what are the chances of bypassing 5/24?

Thanks!

Bill 

Since you already have a Chase card why don't you go online and see if there's a preapproval under "Just for You".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 10
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I am 4/24 but I do not see any offer. Is there a chance to get approved, without having those solid offers with star?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 6 of 10
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Since you already have a Chase card why don't you go online and see if there's a preapproval under "Just for You".

There is nothing showing as a preapproval for me unfortunately.

I think I am going to play it safe, open the accounts and just wait a couple months and I will be 2/24 and then apply.

Thanks for all the great responses.

Bill

Message 7 of 10
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I am 4/24 but I do not see any offer. Is there a chance to get approved, without having those solid offers with star?

Definitely. It obviously depends on the rest of your profile as far as your odds. The pre-approvals are important because they're the only know way to get approved above 5/24.

Message 8 of 10
DSBABC
Established Member

From what I understand, Chase Private Client, or JP Morgan Private Banking, can override almost anything when it comes to their credit cards. I know a few clients; and that seems to be the prevailing idea.

Considering that local Chase branches will often have Chase Private Client services (and thus, a Private Client manager in-house) -- look for the branch with the Private Client sign near the door -- with that person able to override for clients; developing a relationship with that person might be helpful.

Even just inquiring with that person, as to the possibility of becoming a Private Client (and then approaching the card topic with them), might get you in the door to have them override the 5/24 rule. I've seen them (years ago) grant similar courtesies to prospective clients; and so, potentially worth considering.

P.S. I can likewise confirm that for US Trust clients of Bank of America (it's BofA's trust fund/private wealth management division), they can effectively override a significant amount of issues. A past significant other had been a US Trust client (along with her siblings and family), and bankers would (often) override notable financing/credit requirements for her siblings, to an almost laughable extent. So, it seems that the way around most "rules" might be a private client scenario, if possible.

Message 9 of 10
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

Definitely. It obviously depends on the rest of your profile as far as your odds. The pre-approvals are important because they're the only know way to get approved above 5/24.

Late. I got Premier a few days ago and became 5/24 again. If I need a Chase card, I need to garden one more year which is very difficult in these days with lots of perks and SUB offers by several cards in the market Smiley Happy and high inflation rate.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.