Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting CLI after payoff?

tag
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

Requesting CLI after payoff?

Had a number of credit cards at 99% utilization. Paid off All to Zero except one. How long should I wait to request CLI?

Should I request on one, two or all??

8 REPLIES 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Requesting CLI after payoff?

How long did you carry those high balances? What’s the utilization on the card that’s left to pay off?

If you list the banks involved, we could probably give you a better answer. Some might base CLI offers on old pulls, meaning that you should probably wait longer for some cards than others.
Message 2 of 9
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

Almost Carried them all for 3 years. Now All at zero except Discover with a $10 balance

Discover $3100
Citi Costco $2100
Cap 1 Quicksilver $2100
Cap 1 Platinum $1600
Cap 1 GMC $1250
US Bank $1000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $1000
AMEX Optima $500
Merrick Bank $500

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex, CapOne, and Disco are all SP CLIs so there’s no harm in trying, but I’d wait a month for internal scores on Disco and Amex to catch up (or at least check the score they have listed in your account). CapOne tends to like heavy use and PIF before raising limits so YMMV there. As for Amex and Disco, it could go either way. I have no info on the others you listed as I don’t have cards with them.
Message 4 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

You'll want to wait until all the new balances report at the very least, and let your scores update. Also make sure that no one reduces your CL now that they've been paid off (high possibility if ALL cards have been at 99% for 3 years). Citi Costco can be a SP or HP depending on the language on the CLI page.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't wait, just ask.

Message 6 of 9
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't wait, just ask.

Agree! Just try for the one's that are going to be a SP. There's absolutely not harm in asking on those accounts. I ask weekly, sometimes multiple times a week, on the accounts that do SP CLI's. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 7 of 9
calyx
Super Contributor

I'd wait on USBank - they tend to give autoCLIs at about 9months.
If you ask, it will likely be an HP.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 9
titancylinder
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't wait, just ask.

Agreed. I paid off my Capital One cards 5300 across two, then applied for CLI's after midnight on those two cards and they gave me 2.5x my current limit. 

Coming Soon
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.