Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHOCKING: Discover DECLINED 778 EX Score w/Pre-Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SHOCKING: Discover DECLINED 778 EX Score w/Pre-Approval

Despite my high score and flawless history (see below), I was declined, despite a pre-approval with Discover for the IT card. Will see what the denial letter states. Very strange...Weird that students with 0 income or history are approved, yet I with high 6-figure income, $50k CL, and flawless credit am not even approved for $300. Does Discover recon?

Pulled EX 778.

EDIT: will keep posted on status of EO inquiry!

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover DECLINED 778 EX Score

That's strange, I would call them and find out why.
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very shocking...and incredibly disappointing.

Well, I would much rather be in with the best prime lenders, like my $30,000 CL Amex and $10,000 CL Chase than just having a Disco and not being able to get those.

I will give the app line a call, but from everything I've read, it doesn't seem like they ever budget. Since I can't get my credit any more flawless than it is, other than waiting years for my AAoA to increase, I presume if I can't recon, I won't ever get a Disco.

Message 3 of 42
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOCKING: Discover DECLINED 778 EX Score w/Pre-Approval

That's pretty shocking in it self. I wonder why they would decline. Maybe it's your exposure already? Have you had any CO/BK? Burned Disco ever in the past? Definitely something is wrong in this situation. I would probably call and find out what the issue is. Another thing to keep in mind is identity theft/fraud. Also, do you have your reports frozen?

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you acquire a 10K Chase CL & an AMEX 30 K CL with a now 12-13 month AAoA? 

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of the above. Just started my credit history 2 years ago and still have a perfect history. No ID theft, frozen reports, or anything of the sort.

Message 6 of 42
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

There's got to be a misunderstanding of some kind. Did you recently move? Perhaps they can't verify something.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 7 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a healthy amount saved and invested with Chase...and have been a customer since birth. Got Amex after Chase, they must have seen my high CL with Chase and thought I was acceptable. Amex approvals have gotten much more lax over the years.

Message 8 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
There's got to be a misunderstanding of some kind. Did you recently move? Perhaps they can't verify something.

Nope same address as entered in my EX report. Lived there for over a year.

Message 9 of 42
xaximus
Valued Contributor

It's quite possible that you may have reached your total CL exposure based on income. Also, Disco tends to want to be a daily driver and if it already sees large CLs, it may deny based on that. From what my understanding over time now with Disco is that, if you already have a few large lines, they may not be inclined to extend credit as if you already have large lines, why would you need another? You may or may not (leaning towards may not) need it.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.