Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears Citibank Cards Inquiry Sensitive

tag
pc01user
Frequent Contributor

Sears Citibank Cards Inquiry Sensitive

Recently applied in store for card and was rerouted to Barclays for $1000 mastercard

approval.  Well the denial letter from Citibank came today and it said primary reason

of denial is inquries for credit. Called Credit Department who had no clue how many

inquiries you were allowed to be reporting on credit report nor for how long.  In the past

I was denied for bk reporting but this is news to me.  Was anybody else aware of this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sears Citibank Cards Inquiry Sensitive

No one knows it could be a 2 to 1 ratio with average age of accounts or can be a specific number. some people squeak through and get citi cards with really ugly apps sprees and some people get shot down with 5. Also remember if anything like American Express sometimes they spit out generic reasons to tell you gtfo.
Message 2 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There may be no precise cut-off, but I do recall seeing in past threads that some folks reported being told five was the cut-off (at least for them) when they spoke to an analyst.  It very likely can vary from profile to profile, though. 

I would expect them to overlook inquiries on someone with a thick file and strong score, and possibly be a bit more 'picky' on someone who was either building or rebuilding.

Message 3 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

People have got into sears Citi MC with > 50 Inquiies.  Alot more goes into approval than inquires.  They got to list a reason and just pick one from the hat usually as do other creditors when you see the list of three reasons typically usually one makes somewhat sense and other two are out of the blue

Message 4 of 10
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I thought Citi was famous for only looking at INQs in the last 6 months.  Do you have more than 5 INQs in the last 6 months?

Message 5 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

I thought Citi was famous for only looking at INQs in the last 6 months.  Do you have more than 5 INQs in the last 6 months?

Depends on the whole profile.. For example if it is Prestige with the $450 AF, it is amazing what they will look past lol

Message 6 of 10
ddemari
Super Contributor

Citi Sears is interesting, people have gotten in with a lot of inquires but I I was declined with a TU OF 738 and 11
Inquires and was told 3-6 in the past 6 months is too many to approve me
Message 7 of 10
pc01user
Frequent Contributor

But of course I do if you are a member of the Navy Fed family.

Message 8 of 10
thummel
Established Contributor

I thought citi overall was inquiry sensitive?
Message 9 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

People have got into sears Citi MC with > 50 Inquiies.  Alot more goes into approval than inquires.  They got to list a reason and just pick one from the hat usually as do other creditors when you see the list of three reasons typically usually one makes somewhat sense and other two are out of the blue

I will agree with this, LOL.

OP....Citi can be INQ sensitive, or they cant be...Depends on how theyre feeing that day, well  how the computers feeling, lol.  In all honestly, its just not that cut and dry.  So much more goes into their internal computer scoring algorithm.  I was approved for Sears MC, and Brooks Brothers MC back in January of this year with over 70 INQ, lol  (dont ask).......Im also 2.5 yrs post BK7, scores were 685ish on EX I believe?? But my reporting revolving debt is 1% on one card every month. I have huge credit reports with long history as well. Sorry for denial, but why they approve some and not others I dont know. They like my reports for some reason...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.