cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping Cart Trick Middle Initial and Apartment #?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping Cart Trick Middle Initial and Apartment #?

Hi all,

Right now my credit score is hovering around a 620, but I have limited credit history. I have DiscoverIt Secured ($200), Capital One Platinum ($500), QuicksilverOne ($300), and Fingerhut Webbank ($400, which I don't use, just have to keep my util down). I want ONE store card to increase my total CL and keep util down and receive perks from a store I like. But I can't get the SCT to work for the life of me. I've tried all the tricks (incognito, clearing browser history/cookies, signing up for rewards via email, blocking pop-ups, etc).

Here's what I'm wondering:

When I view my credit report, my middle initial is included. Should I include my middle initial in my first name entry when checking out?

My credit report also has my address listed as XXX Streetname St X, where the apartment # is included in the first line and "apt" is exempt from the listing. Now when I try to get the shopping cart trick to work and proceed to enter this info, the store website includes the apt # in line two.

Has anyone had a similar issue and figured out how exactly to resolve it/enter the information to get the SCT to work?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Shopping Cart Trick Middle Initial and Apartment #?

If you are referring tom commenity capital I use to live in an apt and I put 123 Main St Apt #123 and it worked just fine for me in that format.  Keep in mind SCT is no longer a SP as it usually results in a HP now days the days of SP's are mainly gone

Message 2 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

As the other poster mentioned the SP SCT is basically over.

From your profile I would steer away from a store card, you may want to try a SSL , that way you would have the optimal number cards and installment reporting.

JMHO
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You dont need another card right now. Save your hp, manage what you have and let your scores rise. You'll be in a better position to get a card that works for you instead of other way around.
Message 4 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Get a copy of your Equifax report.

Type in your name and address EXACTLY as it appears on your report.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll ask you, as I ask my clients....
"What's your GOAL?....."

Is it to have and use 'starter cards' ( low limit cards, you have now) or is it to GROW your profile to build a beautiful profile that warrants REAL CLs?

It won't happen, constantly USING CCs in their embryo stage....you got 2 issues

Low limit TLs are for SHOW....not SPEND
$200, $300, $500 CC's IMO are NOT for usage...they are ONLY for building history and allowing ONE to SHOW a sub 10% utilization per month, as said history is being built.

#2 the SCT has RUINED many-a-builder because ppl forget that HP or not the algorithm does SEE new TLs opening and additional TLs are RISK behaviors to a algorithm written to reward LOW risk.

With 3 or 4 TLs building there is NO NEED to add more TLs ( appearing RISKY) as one is building a LOW RISK story for the algorithm to 👀 ( remember lower risk = higher score) at this time more cards = higher 'possible' risk ( exactly the opposite of most folks desired goal)

To build 💪 credit STOP putting SPEND on those little limit cards ( appears thristy and needy relying too much on available CL = RISKY) perhaps add a SSL ( only needed if you have no loans reporting but if you have student/car loan etc it's moot)

Allow for by example ONE $300 CC to report a utilization of $29 which FICO will round UP to read 10% utilization...which is BEAUTIFUL and don't have even $1 report on any other card ( even $1 reads as 'balance' carried which = RISK because more than one card has 'a' balance...the amount doesnt matter the algorithm reads ' with balance' period so even a $1 spoils the party...again KNOW da game, play it top shelf😌)

If you PARLAY 8-10 reporting cycles with well managed, low utilization usage of current CLs you won't have to scurry around for SC tricks

Remember the algorithm 👀 10% of a $200 the same way as 10% of $2000 or $20000 it's just 10% and an on-time payment = paid as agreed or not....nothing more, nothing less

I teach my clients that the initial GOAL is algorithm manipulation for SCORING purposes 1st...that can be done with a FEW months of Chess play not Checkers, Chess.....

THEN once the SCORE is up ( along with tge now almost 1 year length of history and 'aging' HPs falling outta negative value) the credit world becomes much easier to navigate but a lil patience and strategic moves are 🔑...
9 months to grow a beautiful baby and the start to beautiful credit😉
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your help! I opted against a store card and instead opened a Self Lender account Smiley Happy sound way to up my score over the year and an easy way to save!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.