Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick - 3 HP for 3 cards

tag
wdkwang
Contributor

Shopping cart trick - 3 HP for 3 cards

Hi all,
Last month, i went on an app spree where 3 of my 10 apps were store cards using the shopping card trick. The incentive was having new cc's without getting more inquiries. After about a week, i received 3 individual inquiries for each of them on Experian. I verified this through CapOne's CreditWise. So i'm not sure, but perhaps the SCT train has left the station.

Cards: 
1. Overstock
2. Victoria Secret
3. Ann Taylor

Screenshot_20180912-195755_Chrome.jpg

Chase Sapphire Reserve 34K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 28K | Chase Amazon 25K
Chase IHG 8.5K | Chase Freedom 5K | Chase Sapphire 3K
Bank of America Cash 40K | Bank of America Travel 40K
AMEX Delta Gold 30K | AMEX Everyday 25K | AMEX Delta 13K | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday 2.62K
Citi Rewards Plus 31K | Citi ThankYou Premier 18.7K
PenFed Pathfinder 5K | PenFed Platinum 5K
City National Bank Crystal Visa 15k
TD Cash 14K | Uber Visa 13K | USBank Cash+ 10K
Wells Fargo Cash Wise 6.5K | Discover IT 5.2K
Overstock 13K | Target RedCard 2.5K | Victoria Secret Angel 1K | LOVE LOFT .25K
BP Visa 5K | Walmart MC 3.3K

08/18: TCL 246.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 5.0Y || TU: 820 | EQ: 823 | EX: 815 || INQ - TU: 3 | EQ: 3 | EX: 7
12/18: TCL 386.95K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 3.1Y || TU: 805 | EQ: 813 | EX: 769 || INQ - TU: 5 | EQ: 4 | EX: 10
11/19: TCL 421.55K | AoOA: 18Y | AAoA: 4.2Y || TU: 818 | EQ: 820 | EX: 794 || INQ - TU: 6 | EQ: 5 | EX: 9
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Shopping cart trick - 3 HP for 3 cards

It hasn't left the station. They sometimes do HPs. Not enough DPs to say why, but it seems to stem from app sprees.

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as mentioned above, plenty of DPs on these forums and other online sources. It used to be norm that the majority of Comenity pre-approval offers were SP, but the landscape has changed over the years.

So, it's not unusual to see these days a HP on a plethora of their SCT CCs. There are still instances reported with SP results, but those are far and in between.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband had a HP from William Sonoma after getting a preapproved pop-up AKA shopping cart trick ( he was not looking to do the SCT but he accepted). I also had a hard pull from Cold Water Creek. I do believe they are changing their ways on this.

Message 4 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

You can add Venus and Wayfair to the list too. No app spree, I just shop at those places and got the pop-up. Both later showed hp's
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think they should add an asterisk next to Easy cards to get from Comenity, especially on DoC. People expect sp via SCT and its just not a guarantee. Plus getting too many Comenity cards in this era of credit carries some risk in they are a Nervous Nelly lol and can shut down cards faster than i can write this.
Message 6 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Looks like a transition has started as descibed by the guys above growing over the past 6 months or so. The SCT is going away slowly. More and more reports are showing up as HP's now. It soon may be a thing of the past in the very near future IMO. Maybe its a good thing. As AJC said. Some go haywire and grab so many at once and then the door slams and the accounts are closed down. Come Christmas shopping time it might be impossible to work at all. Or maybe they'll open the flood gates again for a short term.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, it's probably all to the long-term good if the SCT does seem to be going away by degrees. It always seemed to be one of these too-good-to-be-true things, and from everything I've read over the last year and a half here, the drawbacks of having a lot of these cards seem to outweigh the benefits. I most recently had a SCT pop up for me with the Williams-Sonoma Visa, and when I didn't take it, I got a paper-mail preapproved offer the next week; I doubt I'll take it though because I'm more interested (next year, anyway) in the BJ's Perks MC, since I'm actually a member and do shop there.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add data points, my Overstock via SCT opened in April resulted in a SP. My Wayfair via SCT opened in July resulted in a HP.
As always, YMMV.

Message 9 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

I wa snot looking to do the SCT but ended up accepting a preapproval offer from Overstock that resulted in a HP. As above posters have mentioned, this seems to be the direction these types of offers are moving towards.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.