cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)

SmileNWave
Valued Member

Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)

I ended up opening 2 accounts with NFCU yesterday, and today, out of curiosity, I ran the pre-approval and it turns out that I am pre-approved for every single card, including the Flagship. However, I don't know if they'll reject me or give me a tiny line due to my "thin" profile (only 2 cards, no loans, no credit lines). I'd be happy with anything above my current $1,800 limit that's reporting on my credit (since 1 of my cards is a charge card).

 

Data Points:

47k annual income

720 EX FICO8, 2 open accs, 3 inq in the past 12 mo

714 EQ FICO8, 2 open accs, 1 inq in the past 12 mo

712 TU FICO8, 2 open accs, 2 inq in the past 12 mo

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Jnbmom
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)


@SmileNWave wrote:

I ended up opening 2 accounts with NFCU yesterday, and today, out of curiosity, I ran the pre-approval and it turns out that I am pre-approved for every single card, including the Flagship. However, I don't know if they'll reject me or give me a tiny line due to my "thin" profile (only 2 cards, no loans, no credit lines). I'd be happy with anything above my current $1,800 limit that's reporting on my credit (since 1 of my cards is a charge card).

 

Data Points:

47k annual income

720 EX FICO8, 2 open accs, 3 inq in the past 12 mo

714 EQ FICO8, 2 open accs, 1 inq in the past 12 mo

712 TU FICO8, 2 open accs, 2 inq in the past 12 mo


I would not apply for the flagship  their minimum limit for this card is 5K and most don't apply for this as their first card. Their pre approval is really not accurate at all . I would try for one of their other cards as your first with them .

EXP 778 TU790 EQ 752
Message 2 of 8
SmileNWave
Valued Member

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)

I figured they weren't about to give me their best card out of the gate lol. And wow, their pre-approval just can't make up it's mind. Now it's only showing me their secured card.

Message 3 of 8
Yasselife
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)

@SmileNWave  I've seen members getting the Flagship as their first. I was pre approved for all cards as you did, but went for the More Rewards. Good luck.

Message 4 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)


@SmileNWave wrote:

I figured they weren't about to give me their best card out of the gate lol. And wow, their pre-approval just can't make up it's mind. Now it's only showing me their secured card.


Best card is subjectiveSmiley Wink.  I second @Jnbmom  i would not shoot for FS on a thin file first. 

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)


@Yasselife wrote:

@SmileNWave  I've seen members getting the Flagship as their first. I was pre approved for all cards as you did, but went for the More Rewards. Good luck.


This is true but usually with much thicker profiles. Its not impossible even on a thin profile BUT.... whyvrisk it?Smiley Wink. Navy is like credit, its a marathon  not a sprint....or however that goes 😆 

Message 6 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)


@SmileNWave wrote:

I figured they weren't about to give me their best card out of the gate lol. And wow, their pre-approval just can't make up it's mind. Now it's only showing me their secured card.


Well now you see for yourself why we say the pre approval is unreliable. Don't trust it.

 

But I agree with the consensus, I'd go for another card if it interests you, as the Flagship has slightly more stringent underwriting. Perhaps you could go for the FS as a second card down the road after some more experience and thickening of your file.


Last App: 12/27/2021
Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 7 of 8
Anonymalous
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I Apply? (NFCU Flagship)


@SmileNWave wrote:

I ended up opening 2 accounts with NFCU yesterday, and today, out of curiosity, I ran the pre-approval and it turns out that I am pre-approved for every single card, including the Flagship. However, I don't know if they'll reject me or give me a tiny line due to my "thin" profile (only 2 cards, no loans, no credit lines). I'd be happy with anything above my current $1,800 limit that's reporting on my credit (since 1 of my cards is a charge card).

 

Data Points:

47k annual income

720 EX FICO8, 2 open accs, 3 inq in the past 12 mo

714 EQ FICO8, 2 open accs, 1 inq in the past 12 mo

712 TU FICO8, 2 open accs, 2 inq in the past 12 mo


Navy seems to be okay with thin files. I had only 6 months of credit history, with 1 personal card + 1 AU card and nothing else, and their prequal tool told me I was qualified for all their cards, including the Flagship. The one advantage I had is the AU card is old, so my scores were about 60 points higher than yours. I didn't apply for the Flagship, but they instantly approved me for the More Rewards with a SL over $8K.

 

The Flagship does have more stringent underwriting, and a lot of people say it works better as a second card. But if you want a card with a decent limit, you should have a very good chance of that with the Cash or More Rewards (I think the latter is a better card, and their underwriting standards seem equivalent).

 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.