Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get PayPal MasterCard or wait?

tag
Beast26
Established Contributor

Should I get PayPal MasterCard or wait?

My current cards are in my sig.  Should I get the PayPal MasterCard in December along with my Amazon Visa or should I wait until December of 2021 when I apply for US Bank, and PNC?  I am gardening in 2021 for those 2 cards so that's why there is such a big gap and I plan on getting the Walmart card in April as well which will have me at 1/12 by December 2021.  But I ask because I am still in the first year of my discover it Miles 3% period and it ends next September.  But I'm thinking if I get the PayPal MasterCard now I can just charge something on it every month and let it age until I'm done with the Miles and then use it at that point.  Also I may get a second discover it Miles when the cash back match period is done but that would be after I get the Cash+ and PNC Cash rewards.  

My thinking is when it is all said and done I will already have the PayPal MasterCard as my 2% flat rate cashback card as my future daily driver that will already have 1-2 years of age on it when I'm ready to seriously use it.  I know there is AOD and US Alliance out right now but the future of those 3% returns are yet to be determined.  

Just need others opinions about this.  Get the PayPal MasterCard now and let it age or just wait?

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I get PayPal MasterCard or wait?

It sounds like you're comfortable with your odds when applying for a Cash+ when 1/12, and if so a better move IMO would be to forget applying for the Walmart card altogether (low limits, minimal growth, not a slam-dunk to acquire) and apply for the PP Mastercard in April. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 7
Beast26
Established Contributor

Should I go at it with 0/12?  I thought being 1/12 was ok based on reading but what do you think?

AAoA:
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 3 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

USBank has traditionally been inquiry-adverse and recent commentary has been that their current mindset is that even 1/12 is a YMMV senario.

You already have a card that will give you 3% cashback on unstructured spend through next September and then 1.5% thereafter so I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to be in a hurry to pick up a 2% cashback card.  

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Make USBank your priority now. PPMC will be there after and i agree, Wally card is not worth the hps anymore. 

Message 5 of 7
Beast26
Established Contributor

Ok thanks for the heads up!  I'm curious though, if I decide to get a new phone which will be a hard pull, would that negatively effect my chances even though it's not for a credit card?

AAoA:
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 6 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Beast26 wrote:

Ok thanks for the heads up!  I'm curious though, if I decide to get a new phone which will be a hard pull, would that negatively effect my chances even though it's not for a credit card?

dont think so but if that hp lands on the Bureau US Bank pulls it might. You can always recon with them and explain it was for a phone. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.