cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request a CLI on an existing Amex BEFORE applying to a new one?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I request a CLI on an existing Amex BEFORE applying to a new one?

My existing Amex is from 2016. 

Last year I got approved for 2 Capital One cards, 1 Discover, 1 US bank and this year for 1 Wells Fargo. 

I did open many cards, but I did not do any bal transfers and paid off some and kept them below 50% util. 

My current Ficos are decent in the 750 range. 

I will call Amex tomorrow to see what they say about this. 

Earlier today I called amex to ask details about the bal transfer on the everyday card if I were to apply and asked about the fees etc, but the rep kept pushing me to upgrade the cash everyday card instead, but I declined. Maybe he notated or flagged my account somehow since he knew I was going for the $0 offer and now I get the poppup. This is just speculation and I doubt that I will get any real answers tomorrow when I call, but I will try to get some feedback nonetheless. 

I have been reading about this and some people say they spend a little on their existing unused card and then the following week they apply and get no popup. OR, they do nothing and apply in a few days and works OR they use a "Self referral" ( I guess that is clicking on your own referral link that you can get while you are signed in?).  Who knows what really is the work around... some say incognito mode? oh well..

Message 11 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Everyday application NOT ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE WELCOME OFFER?

@Superduper2014 wrote:

I tried applying to my 2nd Amex card, but hit a snag. 

Before I applied, I requested a CLI on my existing Cash everyday card and got it approved from 13k to 25k. (I requested 25k)

I did this thinking if they approved me for the new card with a low credit line, I could move the available credit from the exisiting card. 

Then I applied to the Amex Everyday card (the one with the $0 Bal Transfer for 15 months offer) , but receive the following message:

"based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American express welcome offers, intro apr offers, OR the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are NOT eligible to receive the welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees. 

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed? " 

Continue and submit option and Cancel application option given. 

I chose cancel application. 

What should I make of this and is there any way to still get this card with the offer maybe by choosing continue and submit and then calling them?

Did I blow it when requesting the CLI on the existing card?

My Experian fico 8 is 754

I'd really like this card with the $0 bal transfer offer. So any help appreciated. 

Thanks

Just to level set on the bolded parts to clear up any confusion.  You currently have the BCE and then applied for the BCP?

Message 12 of 26
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

I have the BCE and applied for the Amex Everyday card. The BCP was being offered to me as an upgrade, but I need the 0 fee bal transfer offer on the Amex Everyday Card. Thanks

Message 13 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Hi, 

I have the BCE and applied for the Amex Everyday card. The BCP was being offered to me as an upgrade, but I need the 0 fee bal transfer offer on the Amex Everyday Card. Thanks

Ok thanks for confirming.  How long have you had your BCE?

And, based on the pop-up information... "based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American express welcome offers, intro apr offers, OR the number of Cards you have opened and closed,..."   Have you had any other AmEx CCs in the past, besides BCE?  And, if not, have you taken advantage of any BT offers with BCE?

Message 14 of 26
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

I've had the BCE since 2016 and it had such a skimpy credit line that I barely used it for purchases. No balance trnafers on that card at all. I was rebuilding credit in 2016.
As far as having an Amex, I did have one back in the day I'd say more than 10yrs ago and doubt it was the Amex everyday I'm applying to with the pop-up, but can't say for sure. I doubt it though and can't remember if that old Amex was ever used with a Bal transfer. I will call them tomorrow to see what they say the reason for the pop up is and will report back.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is absolutely zero reason to call them on this. I went through the exact same situation. I only have a BCP with them, no other cards. Never had any other cards. I was declined the welcome offer on the Everyday card. When I asked them, they told me that I either already had that card once, or have a history of churning them. Neither applied, which we discussed. They said, "oh well, system says no so it's no." That was from multiple CSR's and the EO. 

Message 16 of 26
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE:

I applied to the Everyday Card using my own referral Link and it took me to the application page for the BCP card, but at the bottom you can select another card and chose the Everyday Card I was looking for. 

I had to fill in the blanks for name and address so it was not populated even thought I was using same browser and signed in to my account on same window.

This time i did not receive the pop up stating I won't get the offer, rather when I hit continue it took me to the terms of the offer, which were the $0 fee 15 months 0% Apr bal and purchase, etc.... then it allowed me to submit the application. 

I fear that the pop up only shows up when you apply from your account while logged in. 

Unfortunately, instead of an approval I got: 

"Thanks, We've received your application, but we can't give you a decision right now.

We'll process your application as soon as possible and send you a decision within 14 days.

While we're reviewing your application, please don't submit another application for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card."

So not sure what to make of all this. 

Should I call them and ask to get it reviewed and see if it can be approved now instead of waiting?

Will they notify me somehow if they will not honor the offer and allow me to withdraw the application if that is the case or it seems I lost an hard pull? 

Message 17 of 26
grower1
Frequent Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

UPDATE:

I applied to the Everyday Card using my own referral Link and it took me to the application page for the BCP card, but at the bottom you can select another card and chose the Everyday Card I was looking for. 

I had to fill in the blanks for name and address so it was not populated even thought I was using same browser and signed in to my account on same window.

This time i did not receive the pop up stating I won't get the offer, rather when I hit continue it took me to the terms of the offer, which were the $0 fee 15 months 0% Apr bal and purchase, etc.... then it allowed me to submit the application. 

I fear that the pop up only shows up when you apply from your account while logged in. 

Unfortunately, instead of an approval I got: 

"Thanks, We've received your application, but we can't give you a decision right now.

We'll process your application as soon as possible and send you a decision within 14 days.

While we're reviewing your application, please don't submit another application for the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card."

So not sure what to make of all this. 

Should I call them and ask to get it reviewed and see if it can be approved now instead of waiting?

Will they notify me somehow if they will not honor the offer and allow me to withdraw the application if that is the case or it seems I lost an hard pull? 

I don't think they will allow you to withdraw the application. Are you sure that you received a hard pull from Amex?

Message 18 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I'd wait for the application process to play out. The 14-day message can go in either direction. Optionally, you can check the status of your application online.

Also, just something to be aware of given the recent developments associated with self-referrals:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Major-Amex-clawback-related-to-self-referrals/td-p/567...
Message 19 of 26
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Personally, I'd wait for the application process to play out. The 14-day message can go in either direction. Optionally, you can check the status of your application online.

Also, just something to be aware of given the recent developments associated with self-referrals:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Major-Amex-clawback-related-to-self-referrals/td-p/567...

Thanks. I checked the status online and it says Processing. 

I might have screwed it up big time with the self referral not knowing about this.

Hope this doesn't affect my existing BCP with 25k CL just increased, since that is some nice padding I got there without having to open another account. 

I need a backup plan though.

Do you have any suggestions on a card with Zero bal transfer fee? This is the only reason I was looking into this amex card. 

Thanks for the valuable information. 

Thanks

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.