cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success with Kohl's CLI after threatening to close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Success with Kohl's CLI after threatening to close?

Has anyone had success with a CLl from Kohl's? I can't seem to get them to raise my CL from $300. If I threaten to close account, would that do any good??

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: Success with Kohl's CLI after threatening to close?

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had success with a CLl from Kohl's? I can't seem to get them to raise my CL from $300. If I threaten to close account, would that do any good??

Unfortunately no, Capital One would not care if you closed it. Are you putting enough spend through it every month to justify a CLI?

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has your card been open? I barely use mine but at 6 months mine went from 300-700 then around 3 months later I got it to 1500. I only used it once since that first increase. 

They will not give an increase if you card hasn't been open for 6 months. 

Message 3 of 18
yoyo
Established Contributor

I got my first increase at the 5th month. Try to wait until then..be careful for it could be a hard pull
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably didn't get my first CLI for over a year (stuck on like $300 or 400), then up to $700, then to $1500 (might have been two CLIs to get that jump), then just got a bump to $2500 last week.  I think my card is well over 2 years old.  And I use it enough to have been upgraded to the frequent shopper account.

Message 5 of 18
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I got my Kohls card around 3 years ago. I got approved with a $300 limit. It sat at 300 until May of last year they upped me to $700, in Nov they upped me to $1500 and just a few days ago I hit the button for fun and I got another $1000 increase putting me to $2500. I use the card once a year in December my son loves to go shopping there and for his birthday we have a tradition I give him the card and let him get whatever he wants from there. He is very good and usually only spends maybe $200-$300 on clothes which he needs.  I pay it off in a month or two and that's all the usage that card sees. So I don't think heavy usage matters with Kolhs because I for sure don't have heavy usage at all.

As far as saying you're going to close it if you don't get an increase. I am going to bet they say sorry you feel that way and we will close your account for you, have a nice day.

Message 6 of 18
Chris0321
Regular Contributor

I was stuck at the same  CL of $300 for about a year with Kohls. Recently i went and did the LUV button and my limit was increased to $700.  My wife has had her card about 5 months less than me and after i got mine, had her go and try and she got the same increase from 300 to 700. Not sure if there was any specific time frame as we both got our cards at different times.

Starting Score: MyFico EQ: 499, EX: 535, TU: 534 Dated: 1/16/2015
Current Score: MyFico EQ: 650, EX: 669, TU: 675 Dated: 5/11/2015
Goal Score: 700+
Chase Amazon Visa $2K | NFCU nRewards Visa $8K | NFCU cashRewards $2K | NavCheck $15K | Barclays Apple Rewards Visa $1500 | Cap1 Quiksilver $600 | Discover iT $1500 | Cap1 Platinum $2600 | Victoria Secret $1,950 | Kohls $700 | Amazon Store Card $5000 | Walmart Credit Card $3500 |
Effective Immediately, 6/26/2015, I have officially become a GARDNER..
Message 7 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately no, Capital One would not care if you closed it. Are you putting enough spend through it every month to justify a CLI?

Agree.

OP, if they call out your bluff, then your card will be closed and you'd be SOL (if you even care to keep the card).  So, best to approach the CLI with a different mindset and see how you can leverage this as others suggested.

Message 8 of 18
Scott_S
Regular Contributor

Like others I started at $300 and took over a year to get a bump to $700.  Been denied twice for CLI's over the past 6 months, but my balance has been zero and I never really used the card very much and haven't charged much either, so maybe my use hasn't warranted an increase....

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I use it quite frequently and end up paying most of it off within a few months.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.