Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summertime App Spree

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Summertime App Spree

Memorial day marks the traditional start of summer and with Citi and AMEX extending their bonus periods for new applicants to 6 months if they apply by 5/31/20 (right beyond Black Friday) it makes sense to just do it now and have the cards in time for summer spending all the way until Christmas shopping. I may be 5/24 with Chase until 8/9/20 if they count my Samsung store card which they now putting in the same category as my Macy's card. But I don't want to wait 2.5 months to find out and lose out on the extended bonus periods.

Here is my spree w/ spend requirements w/ perks:

Chase World of Hyatt 6,000/6 months ($1500 value SUB, Hyatt Discoverist, Annual Free night)

AMEX Green 2,000/6 months ($900 value SUB, Plan IT, Rakuten bonuses, Amazon offers, Loungebuddy)

Citi Rewards+ 1500/6 months ($300 value SUB, App purchases, Amazon offers, Small Purchases)

Total spend requirement: 9,500

Planned Purchases: $7900

IHG 100% point bonus $2500

8 hotel nights @ 200 a night $1600

Purchase laptop $900

Purchase air conditioner $900

New set of tires $500

Birthday gifts $500

Christmas Gifts $1000

This is an estimate of extras that I'll need to buy before Black Friday rolls around. The way Hyatt's bonus is structured is its 3,000 in the first  3 months and then another 3,000 in the next 3 months so I'll need to use a buy up of the IHG miles I think to hit that first 3 month bonus. If I am unable to get WoH then I might not do th IHG buy up. I may app for Hilton Suprass as the alternate w/ two free night offer.

The plan for the Rewards+ is going to be to try to score that 5x offer for electronic stores for the new computer. Also its 5x groceries on the Thank You point earning cards all the way out until 7/31, a full month beyond Chase.

The gifts I'm hoping to score big 10x Rakuten bonuses with my AMEX Green and may also do a fair amount of shopping on Amazon with the 1 point/30-40% off promotions. It has Loungebuddy which I don't the next time I'll end up flying but right now I don't have any priority passs coverage so this will give me at least something. The Plan IT feature might be good down the road for a kitchen remodel.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Summertime App Spree

****UPDATE 5/28****

-Was close yesterday to putting an app in for WoH yesterday online. Then I thought I might as well give it a shot in branch if 5/24 is questionable. I have an appointment set for 5/29 in branch. What I was told is that moving forward in branch is going to be by appointment only. You set the appointment online and specifically go in for a credit card.

-Then on Saturday 5/30 I'm going to be looking to go Citi to accept an in-branch offer for the Rewards+. I guess I could do it tomorrow but I don't want to push it if I do get approved for the WoH. If I don't then I could do it Friday after the Chase appointment. They are walk-in but require masks for all customers.

-I have the pre-approved 45k SUB for the AMEX Green showing up on Card Match and AMEX Pre Qualify tool so I feel good about it.

-Thought of apping for the Hilton Suprass in order to get it by June 3rd since they are running a 100% bonus on Hilton miles. With 3-5 business days for a card to come in I just didn't feel like I was going to have enough time, especially if they delay approval on the card since I'm a new customer. The card isn't showing up on Cardmatch tool either.

-Somewhat concerned about multiple new CC apps impacting my ability to get LOC trade lines as I'm sitting at about 5/12 HP with all 3 bureaus. But then I realized if my target TCL is 300k for utilization padding and I'm sitting at 232k currently I guess all I would need after this CC spree is one or two banks to come through in the PLOC spree to hit that 300k target. 

Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't see much advantage in sprees in general but especially during COVID I would tread carefully. With banks tightening up, opening several new accounts could pose an issue. It sounds like you have the spend to hit the bonuses, but IMO, there isn't much of a rush. I'd do the Chase card first. The Green and Rewards+ are almost certainly not going anywhere. Just my opinion

Message 3 of 8
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Good luck with your attack plan

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Hyatt card offers an additional free night (Cat 1 - 4) if you spend $15k within a year. This repeats annually. If you find a decent category 4 property it's a decent return.

Message 5 of 8
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

****UPDATE 5/29****

-Branch #1: Chase made me set an appointment yesterday to have a phone conversation about applying for a credit card. Per there rules the only banker in the office told me yesterday is it all begins with a phone call which is what it says in the automated confirmation email. It was for 1:00pm and I didn't get a phone call until 1:10. He gets on the phone and said he thought I was coming in at 1pm. That was not the process outlined and I said I would have come in person and really want to still do so. When he does then is redirect me to branch which I didn't think was open saying the other one has plenty of openings for today and tomorrow.

-Branch #2: I call the branch and can't get anyone online. I made an appointment and the way their appointment system works the day you submit for an appointment it won't let you schedule until the following day. I decide to put an apointment in for 9:30 AM tomorrow. I'm pretty annoyed and go brush my teeth and start thinking about it. Then I decided to see if I could find another branch.

-Branch #3: They told me I could just walk in when I called. I show up and they have social distancing tape all over the floor marking where you can stand or not. Just two relationship bankers in the office. One was in the lobby but they made me actually talk to the other one through teller glass. I asked about World of Hyatt and was told WoH is only online. She then proceeds to show me a screen with all the card offerings they'll do. It was 6 cards; CFU, CF, CS, Slate, CSP, CSR. I mentioned I had the CSP and was pointed to picking up a Slate or CSR too. I said you can only have one or the other CSP or CSR the response from the banker was "You could try and see if you could get both". Too smart to fall for it I walked away.

-Feeling dejected I drove home and stopped in at a minimart to by some water. A guy follows me in saying someone just pulled a gun on him in the parking lot. Weird situation but I bought my water and started thinking about the card again. Then I realized if I could hurry home and apply on line I'd still have time to make it over to Citibank if I get rejected and get that one over with today. I put the application in and it hangs up on me. Finally it goes through and to my bewilderment I was instantly approved for WoH with a starting limit of 20,900!

After all this sweating it I was able to pull off a cold app at 5/24. But was I really 5/24? Counting all trade lines in the old TU VS I was 5/24 back in January when I cold apped for the Chase Freedom. They didn't count a line of credit I had opened in May of 2018 is what I figured and under the old TU Vantage Score it was listed in a different credit category as a CLOC, not under revolving credit. With EX Vantage Score that LOC isn't listed at all however a CLOC which I've had for 3 years is in the same general category as the revolvers and store cards which made me extra nervous going into this one.

Here is what I was working with on Chase Credit Journey

REVOLVING CHARGE ACCOUNT: TD Samsung Store Card (8/8/18)

CREDIT CARD REVOLVING TERMS: Discover IT (5/16/19)

CREDIT CARD REVOLIVING TERMS: Chase Freedom Unlimited (6/07/19)

CREDIT CARD: Chase Sapphire Preferred (11/15/20)

CREDIT CARD: Chase Freedom (1/18/20)

They must of then not be counting my store card either in the 5/24 calculation. It has the exact same designation as my Macy's account. There is no physical card involved with Samsung so no Visa/MC/AMEX ect.

The growth of my Chase TCL since November 1st:

It still doesn't top the 77,000 CL of my NFCU Flagship but its a pretty big TCL in my opinion.

Message 6 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread locked as op was approved. Feel free to start new thread in approvals. Congrats. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.