Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Ivylicious1908
Regular Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I pulled the trigger as well at 63 days and was denied. But my only message was too short. I waited 30 more days and got the 3X increase.

Message 5351 of 5,432
Deuter
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the increase Ivy!

In about a week i have to ask for my $5,000 CLI increment on my $35K No AF HH. Will post what happens, i am expecting to get to the 40K. Card has only seen $50 in purchases on the past 6 months but i am expecting it will go through. Let's see. 

Message 5352 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to Amex

Hello, MyFico 

So here we go..

Got my first Amex card ..Delta skymiles platinum..cl $1700 

I got the platinum for the 70k and $100Ac. In first 3 mo.

I have been using it as my go to card. My first billing statement is march 19th.

I got a close to limit email yesterday.

$1451 of $1700 with $983 posted.

So i paid the posted amount. Available balance back to over $1200..end of day $1004..

So at this rate i should have my promo amount by march 1st and still have about 3k to spend before the 15th. So i will be 250%+ of limit before statement on the 19th and will pay in full by the 15th or sooner depending on how long the payments take to process.

So being a new member to Amex what would be a time frame for me to ask for a CLI. 6mo's or should i wait to have a year as a member?

Because i know my initial CL is in the red zone. But usage will be around 3-4k a month. And my scores should be over 700 soon.

Message 5353 of 5,432
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: New to Amex

There is an active thread here that specifically discusses the when and how to ask for a CLI on new AMEX accounts.   I recommend you read it and follow up there with any questions you have.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/18110...

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5354 of 5,432
BrooklynDrip
Contributor

Quick question. Will my utilization on other accounts negatively impact my chances on getting the 3x? So I’m coming up on my 61 day shortly on my Cash Magnet card, $1k SL. I also recently got my first biz card also CM, $2k limit. Currently my utilization is kinda high on two of my four cards, with 62% on CM, about the same on Discover. Should I pay down any of these accounts before asking for the increase?

1st Garden: Started January 2021
2nd Garden: Sept 2021 I’m returning to the garden - Doing a minimum of a year until 10/22 which will be 12 months post my newest 2 HPs

Scores as of 7.27.21
Experian: 760 Transunion: 732 Equifax: 741
Current Cards:
Macy’s Store:
$15000 - CLI $100>$2K>$4K>$8>$13K w P.C. to Amex >$15k
Care Credit: $1800 (Sock drawer)
Discover It: $4500
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $1000 (sock drawer)
AMEX Cash Magnet: $3000
Chase Freedom Flex: $1000
Amex Blue Business Cash: $2000
FNBO Evergreen Rewards Signature Visa Card: $10,000
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: $9,000

Wishlist Cards:
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant || AMEX Platinum || AMEX Blue Cash Preferred || Wells Fargo Propel American Express || U.S.Bank Altitude Go || Chase Sapphire Preferred || Citibank Double Cash

https://m.imgur.com/7eJQLoF?r

https://m.imgur.com/5QX7J6E?r
Message 5355 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally speaking, I'd say lower reported utilization is better when asking for CLIs.  If you're talking Amex accounts where they are able to see your spend/payment pattern, if you're paying your statement balance in full monthly I would say it's not a big deal to have higher reported utilization... but if you're carrying a balance it definitely isn't a great look.

Message 5356 of 5,432
BrooklynDrip
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally speaking, I'd say lower reported utilization is better when asking for CLIs.  If you're talking Amex accounts where they are able to see your spend/payment pattern, if you're paying your statement balance in full monthly I would say it's not a big deal to have higher reported utilization... but if you're carrying a balance it definitely isn't a great look.

I’m currently in my 0% APR promo period, that’s why I have a balance, but I make multiple payments throughout the month. But that probably doesn’t matter, huh?🤔

2nd Garden: Sept 2021 I’m returning to the garden - Doing a minimum of a year until 10/22 which will be 12 months post my newest 2 HPs

Scores as of 7.27.21
Current Cards:
Macy’s Store:

Wishlist Cards:
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant || AMEX Platinum || AMEX Blue Cash Preferred || Wells Fargo Propel American Express || U.S.Bank Altitude Go || Chase Sapphire Preferred || Citibank Double Cash

Message 5357 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrooklynDrip this happened to me. I was in the 0% APR on my Everyday card and I tried for a CLI and was denied. They said my payments weren't high enough. But my 0% APR was just about to expire and I PIF then a few days later I got my CLI. I left some money on the table by only asking for 2.5x instead of 3x but it's fine! I have way too much credit...just keeping it for utilization padding. Once u pay everything off, you should be ok to get the CLI. 

Message 5358 of 5,432
BrooklynDrip
Contributor

@ MusicLovah7 ok then. I’ll wait a few weeks, pay down my balances and also get my CM way lower before I ask for the 3x. Better to be patient than pulling the trigger without putting my best foot forward.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: actually just PIF my CM.

Another question, my Macy’s store card recently got a CLI increase of $2k to $4k. Should I wait for that to update to the CRs prior to requesting the CLI for Amex? I’m assuming that should work even more to my favor?

Scores as of 7.27.21
Current Cards:
Macy’s Store:

Wishlist Cards:

Message 5359 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is does this apply to new members to Amex with no past history with them? How many statements in should i be with only $1700 CL AKA training wheel acct. My first statement will be close to 150%to 200% of my limit. 

I have paid $1500 when i got my close to limit notice..(rest still pending)

Message 5360 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.