Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

I am planning on doing a 3x CLI and I paid down all my AMEX balances but I am an AU on one AMEX account with a balance higher than 30% utilization for that particular AU account but I am under 5% for all accounts that I am a primary on. When applying for the CLI, will they take the AU balance (regarding debt) into consideration?

Message 5391 of 5,432
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@HappyGoLucky4U wrote:

I am planning on doing a 3x CLI and I paid down all my AMEX balances but I am an AU on one AMEX account with a balance higher than 30% utilization for that particular AU account but I am under 5% for all accounts that I am a primary on. When applying for the CLI, will they take the AU balance (regarding debt) into consideration?

Yes.

If it's factored and shown in your CRs, and as long it's not a charge card, then yes.

Message 5392 of 5,432
HappyGoLucky4U
New Contributor

the large balance on the AU account occurred after the statement cut, so it's not on the credit report that AMEX SP.  Do we know if AMEX uses the SP AND checks their current account (in this case, the AU account) real time when determining?  Or do they stictly use the CR SP? Thank you.

Message 5393 of 5,432
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick DP regarding a denied Amex CLI. I opened my Amex BCP back in December and I just applied for a 3X CLI. They started me with only a $1k line, I’m guessing because I had a few baddies back in 2017. Either way, I got my foot in the door and have been putting a large spend on the card and PIF each month. I’m averaging a $2500-3500 spend each month, paying it off multiple times per month. I got denied a CLI, so I called for recon. The rep told me that they have a new procedure in place, they will not give a CLI on new accounts until the account is 1 year old. Is this for real? Anyone else have this issue? My Fico 8 scores are all in the 720-740 range and my last baddie was a 30 day over 4 years ago. 

Any update on this @Anonymous?

Message 5394 of 5,432
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Quirk I found out about Amex

Please excuse me if this has already been posted; I've been gone a long time and there are way too many threads to search!

I recently discovered a quirk with Amex that may be helpful for others. At the same time, via their website, I requested a CLI on two cards. One was immediately approved. The other? Not so much. You know that sinking feeling in your stomach? Smiley Surprised

It said "we'll send you a letter" and I thought, okay, I'll wait and see what it says. When it came, it said that they don't approve CLIs on multiple cards concurrently, and that I'd have to wait....a certain length of time (that I don't recall right now) to try again.

I'm just glad that I happened, purely by chance, to do the card I really wanted an increase on first!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5395 of 5,432
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Quirk I found out about Amex

Yes, there are a few rules with Amex CLI increases.  You cannot ask for one on any account you have if any account you have has been approved for a CLI in the past 180 days or been denied a CLI in the past 90 days.

Had you done it in the reverse order, it would be pretty easy to get it fixed.  You can move credit lines between accounts (except business to personal, although the opposite direction is okay) once every 30 days.

Message 5396 of 5,432
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Quirk I found out about Amex

Yes, AMEX will allow only one CLI per customer which means this encompasses ALL your cards regardless of whether they are personal or business cards. Fortunately they make it easy to reallocate limits (which have they own little rules as well) so trying an increase on your bigger limits is the best solution

Message 5397 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman I spoke with a rep today who told me that it's not a year, it's still only 60 days but that I had "other reasons" for being denied. So I asked to review the "other reasons" and they're telling me "serious delinquency" and "too many unsatisfactory accounts." I sort of flipped on the CSR. The last late payment I had with any creditor was early 2017 and EVERY account I have has been current and on-time since that date. My aggregate UT is at 24% and I'm AZEO. My fico8 has gone up 18 points since I was approved for the card, so this really pisses me off. My only guess is they're being overly cautious due to the financial burden of Covid-19. Ironically enough, today I got an email from C1 that hey increased my limit. I didn't request it either. C1 of all companies giving an unsolicited CLI. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Message 5398 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone here able to give some feedback to my prior post?

(https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/62994...)

also, is the new CLI standard 2x now vs 3x? seen some DPs where this is mentioned.

Message 5399 of 5,432
Ivylicious1908
Regular Contributor

I will let you know tomorrow I reach my 6 months today so I will go for my cli 3X tomorrow! I will keep you posted!

Message 5400 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.