Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

No counter offer? You’ll have to wait and see the reason for the denial, are you sure you weren’t early?
Message 4701 of 5,432
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

No just an out and out denial. I could of very well been but i was going off the approval email i got when i applied. To be fair they might have scoffed a bit as my score took a 40 point hit for new account when it reported lol, amex is only my second card
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 4702 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always do a message to them or call them and ask when you were due for the CLI. But yeah if you tanked 40 points, a denial may be expected, unfortunately. Just have to give it a little time.
Message 4703 of 5,432
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Agreed. Im only 22 with 3 years of history so the drop dosent surprise me. To still be in the 750's with such a thin file im happy to sit and wait for a few months. With only 12k income as well 6k nay be ambitious, it took me up until last month to get disco up to 5k
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 4704 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah you’re a thin file plus on a new account scorecard now, so understandable. And I agree with your analysis. You’re doing excellent with three years history, just give it some time you’ll probably see points at three months and six months and then also at scorecard change at 12 months as long as you don’t open up any more new accounts.

Read some of the posts by @CassieCard, she’s got a Lotta good information on young thin new account files.
Message 4705 of 5,432
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Will do! Appreciate the insight. Unfortunatly i have a student loan to take out so i do technically have one more account to open this year but after that im going to hunker down for a year or so unless i get a pre approval for something silly like CSP in the mail haha
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 4706 of 5,432
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Amex ED 3x CLI question

I applied and was approved for my Amex ED on June 17th. Originally for $1k. I read on here that some people were lucky enough to request a 3x CLI before the card even showed up for them, and they were approved. So i figured what the heck. A $1k SL is annoying.

I clicked the love button and was given, if i remember right, the 7-10 day message. So i thought i was denied. The following day i logged into my Amex account and saw my new $3k CL. 

So, this brings me to my main question. I'm waiting for day 61 to request the next 3x CLI. That would be 8/17/19. However, do i need to wait 6 months since i was approved for the CLI the day after i opened the card? Or will i still be eligible for the CLI on day 61? I'm getting antsy, hoping for my new $9k limit on the 17th, and i understand they can counter me or even deny me. But am i looking forward to the 17th for nothing? Will i have to wait until 6 months after 6/18, that i requested the first 3x CLI? I haven't been able to find much info regarding those of us that were lucky to be granted the CLI before we even received the card.

|  
Message 4707 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex ED 3x CLI question

To my knowledge it is 1 CLI per account holder for 6 months.  

Message 4708 of 5,432
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:

So, this brings me to my main question. I'm waiting for day 61 to request the next 3x CLI. That would be 8/17/19. However, do i need to wait 6 months since i was approved for the CLI the day after i opened the card? Or will i still be eligible for the CLI on day 61? I'm getting antsy, hoping for my new $9k limit on the 17th, and i understand they can counter me or even deny me. But am i looking forward to the 17th for nothing? Will i have to wait until 6 months after 6/18, that i requested the first 3x CLI? I haven't been able to find much info regarding those of us that were lucky to be granted the CLI before we even received the card.

I believe you're going to have to wait.  The best way to look at it is that you got lucky and got your 61 day 3X CLI 60 days early on Day 1.  The clock would then start at that time for 6 months to receive your next.  This also means that your 2nd CLI (and all others) will come 60 days early relative to someone that received their first CLI at 61 days, which is a good thing.

Message 4709 of 5,432
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Got my denial letter. They listed 2 reasons which i will abbreviate.
1. DTI too high- i was at approx around 1k total vs 12k income

2. Amex payments too small vs balance. I was making $200 payments on around $900 balance after i hit 1k SUB

Ive made back to back $500 payments and my next statement cut will be around $320 factoring in purchases pending. Also payed off disco to 0 for a few extra points and UTI buffer. I think ill request 4k at the 90 day mark and hopefully I can atleast get a counter offer if they still dont like it
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 4710 of 5,432
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.