Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Struggle is real-BOA

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

The Struggle is real-BOA

A few years ago, I would have apped every month for a 321 card. In fact, I had a MBNA merged relic from my Alma mater. DW still has hers. Anyway, I have been getting this monthly offer for a pre-selected 3-2-1 card for 0% for 15 months then 22%.

I will NOT take the bait. Have other things I am planning for.

Update: not applying
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: The Struggle is real-BOA

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
A few years ago, I would have apped every month for a 321 card. In fact, I had a MBNA merged relic from my Alma mater. DW still has hers. Anyway, I have been getting this monthly offer for a pre-selected 3-2-1 card for 0% for 15 months then 22%.

I will take the bait. Have other things I am planning for.

You will take the bait? And lose your aaaruby.png

Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Think if you wait the APR will certainly get better..

Message 3 of 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I think waiting and taking care of my other financial priorities is a better course to take. During the garden, I have learned to evaluate how each card works in my household. Basically, my cards uses will get PIF'ed each month so rewards are not negated.

Also, I want to rid several more inquiries from early 2017.
Message 4 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
I think waiting and taking care of my other financial priorities is a better course to take. During the garden, I have learned to evaluate how each card works in my household. Basically, will it get used PIF'ed each month so rewards are negated.

Inquiries from early 2017 already don't affect your Fico score, which only count inquiries within the past 12 months, they're just there on your report. But with your Ruby garden status I get you are more sensitive to inquiries than I, I just limit my inquiries & new accounts so they don't have any major impact on my score.

I don't get how PIF monthly negates rewards, I PIF mine monthly and still enjoy my 3% rewards on gas, very occasional 2% groceries (have better cards), and never 1%. And I believe this card currently has a $200 SUB for only $500 spend, which is pretty sweet.

Message 5 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
I think waiting and taking care of my other financial priorities is a better course to take. During the garden, I have learned to evaluate how each card works in my household. Basically, will it get used PIF'ed each month so rewards are negated.

Inquiries from early 2017 already don't affect your Fico score, which only count inquiries within the past 12 months, they're just there on your report. But with your Ruby garden status I get you are more sensitive to inquiries than I, I just limit my inquiries & new accounts so they don't have any major impact on my score.

I don't get how PIF monthly negates rewards, I PIF mine monthly and still enjoy my 3% rewards on gas, very occasional 2% groceries (have better cards), and never 1%. And I believe this card currently has a $200 SUB for only $500 spend, which is pretty sweet.

more of principle to me even though 99% i PIF unless a am running a BT.. 22% is the worse Apr I believe for this card.  Not sure of OP's scores, but the worse APR usually indicates something.  I just have a problem getting the worse terms and prefer the best terms.  I suppose that is part of working so hard to rebuild my credit.

Message 6 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Blackswizz750 wrote:

more of principle to me even though 99% i PIF unless a am running a BT.. 22% is the worse Apr I believe for this card.  Not sure of OP's scores, but the worse APR usually indicates something.  I just have a problem getting the worse terms and prefer the best terms.  I suppose that is part of working so hard to rebuild my credit.

I also PIF except for BTs or 0% intro. I honestly had no idea what my interest rate was for my BoA Cash Rewards so i checked the most recent statement - 22.24%, my TU Fico from BoA is 719. The more important thing to me is the line just above the APR: Total interest charged in 2018 $0.00. My lowest interest CC is a Visa from a local CU, Vantage West: 12.25%. And it's by far my least used CC because its krappy rewards, 1 pt. for $2 spend and it's some dumb program many CUs use requiring a gazillion points for overpriced merchandise I don't need or want. I just toss it a small charge every couple months to keep it active, my Cash Rewards gets used several times monthly, with almost double the interest rate that I'll never pay.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

'worst' APR for that card and most of the standard BoA cards is approx 25%.  22%ish seems to be their tier for thin or previously 'dirty' files.  Most recent member to reply pointed out - APR figure doesn't matter if you PIF.  Or if you carry/transfer balance that you are truly disciplined to only do so during 0% introductory period.  

BoA seems to be offering a mix of "Platinum Americard", Travel Rewards, and Cash Rewards to existing customers non-stop, 

I've recently mentioned this in another thread - really curious if these "pre-approved offers for you" result in HP as you would expect or not.  And how strong the pre-approvals are.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.