cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on applying for Amazon Prime Card at the same time as NFCU following six months gardening

tag
KillingThemGingerly
Contributor

Thoughts on applying for Amazon Prime Card at the same time as NFCU following six months gardening

I recently subbed to BOA Customized Cash Rewads and AMEX BlueCash Everyday. I am going to garden for six months but still want to apply for the Amazon Prime card from Chase and potentially the NFCU Cash Rewards after the 6 months in the garden is up.

I am fully aware of Chase's 5/24 rule so I definitely will apply for the Chase Amazon Prime first. Do you think I should wait an additional 6 months after that to apply for the NFCU Cash Rewards or would it be okay to apply for it right after (as in basically same day) as the Chase Amazon Prime?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Thoughts on applying for Amazon Prime Card at the same time as NFCU following six months gardeni

Well, to be honest, I don't think it matters which card you apply for first. It's not as if the new account (if approved) would show up instantly anyway. I'm not sure if maybe you're confused on what 5/24 really means, but just in case, allow me to explain. 5/24 refers to 5 or more accounts opened in the last 24 months. I'm not sure if you maybe thought it was referring to inquiries. 

That said, I'd still wait the 6 months (or at least 3) if approved, as Chase is known to keep tabs on you for a few months after an approval to make sure you're not excessively seeking credit. They've been known to shut down accounts post-approval for that reason.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 6
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Thoughts on applying for Amazon Prime Card at the same time as NFCU following six months gardeni

Would need more info to make a guess, and my guess might be wrong anyway. I'll just mention some details that might matter.

1 - 5/24 refers to opening five credit cards in the past 24 months. It does not refer to inquiries in the last 24 months. It does not refer to opening accounts other than cards in the last 24 months. It refers specifically and only to opening five cards in the past 24 months.

2 - That said, Chase may also be sensitive to inquiries and other new accounts aside from cards. They are not part of 5/24, but that doesn't mean they don't matter.

3 - The Chase Amazon card is known to sometimes be issued despite the applicant being above 5/24. There is a thread here of approvals of that card from people above 5/24. Some are way above. So, it may not even be relevant for that specific card, though it is relevant for core Chase cards.

4 - NFCU does not have an equivalent rule to 5/24, though again, most credit card issuers will dislike numerous inquiries and new accounts.

If your profile is pretty strong, I think you could get both cards the same day with no adverse action. But if in doubt, I would read some examples of people who were approved and denied for both cards to see how you might fit in the spectrum. JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 6
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@KillingThemGingerly wrote:

I recently subbed to BOA Customized Cash Rewads and AMEX BlueCash Everyday. I am going to garden for six months but still want to apply for the Amazon Prime card from Chase and potentially the NFCU Cash Rewards after the 6 months in the garden is up.

I am fully aware of Chase's 5/24 rule so I definitely will apply for the Chase Amazon Prime first. Do you think I should wait an additional 6 months after that to apply for the NFCU Cash Rewards or would it be okay to apply for it right after (as in basically same day) as the Chase Amazon Prime?

I got Chase Amazon Prime with over 5/24 with decent SL over a month ago. Chase is showing more willingness for approval regarding this card!

I also tried this card almost 2 years ago and was denied! So you may have a better chance now then few months ago!😎

Message 4 of 6
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I would assume you would be fine to app for both at the same time. This is all assuming that you don't have a ton of other recent approvals or inquiries other than those mentioned in your post. 

The Chase Amazon Visa is generally not AS hard to get as other Chase cards, but of course YMMV. 

Good luck in the garden and good luck on the future applications! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Apply both. If Chase closes your card just pick up a Sync cardSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.