cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on whether/when I might land a QuickSilver?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thoughts on whether/when I might land a QuickSilver?

So ... applied successfully for 4 cards in December '17 -- the first time I'd applied for CCs in 7 years (BarRing, BCE, CSP, Dit).

Applied unsuccessfully for the Cap One QS the first week of January.  Denied -- too many recent INQs / new accounts.  Fair enough.

The 2 mortgage pulls in each bureau will be >1 year in August (and the EQ Auto pull will be gone by then).

Assuming that I keep my scores (in my sig) where they're at (or higher), my aggregate util below 8.9%, and all but one or two accounts reporting zero, any thoughts as to whether/when Cap One might let me in the door?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

Re: Thoughts on whether/when I might land a QuickSilver?

Ok. With those scores you should: A.) Have no trouble getting approved for a QS, not sure why they keep denying you. But B.) There are better cards out there. Any reason you're set on the Quicksilver?

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 2 of 9
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks.

The reason for denial was not my scores or income but, based on my EX report, too many recent inquiries.

(2 CC's in Dec, 1 HELoan in Nov, the same HELoan in Sep (while the friendly bank ultimately extended the loan, it took too long to underwrite), and 2 mort INQs in July)

I'm keen on the QS because it is a cashback card with no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee. 

(And I've no Cap One card in my collection, and the Cap One arena is a few blocks from work. Smiley Wink)

So, I'm wondering what Cap One considers 'recent' -- 3 months?  6 months?  A year?  Longer?

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 3 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Method2Madnesswrote:

Ok. With those scores you should: A.) Have no trouble getting approved for a QS, not sure why they keep denying you. But B.) There are better cards out there. Any reason you're set on the Quicksilver?

Curious to this as well. The cards in your sig are better than the QS you're wanting so trying to figure out the motivation for getting this card.

Edit: slow on my part lol just read your reason above.

Message 4 of 9
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

@expatCanuckwrote:

Thanks.

The reason for denial was not my scores or income but, based on my EX report, too many recent inquiries.

I'm keen on the QS because it is a cashback card with no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee. 

(And I've no Cap One card in my collection, and Cap One arena is a few blocks from work. Smiley Wink)

So, I'm wondering what Cap One considers 'recent' -- 3 months?  6 months?  A year?  Longer?

Gotcha. Smiley Happy

And recent with Capone is usually 6 months.

Message 5 of 9
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks again.  So June or July.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 6 of 9
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

@expatCanuckwrote:

Thanks again.  So June or July.

No problem.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah a lot of the better cap1 cards are sensitive to inqs and new accts within the last 6 months. I've actually never been approved for a quicksilver either.... LOL. Had to product change my Cap1 Platinum to a QS after 6 months (the consequences of being an app spree-aholic) and since I can't get a decent CLI on the QS I had to get ANOTHER platinum just to re allocate that limit to the original QS in a while. But anyway that's a workaround for ya. Cap1 rep said over the phone my new Plat has to be 1 month old before I can merge it to the QS but based on what I've researched maybe he just made up that fact on the spot LOL. I've heard both accts need to be 6 months old first, but we'll see.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Allow some of the inquiries to age and then apply again. 6 months should be good. Based on your scores, Capital One might even reconsider. Have you ever called after being denied?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.