Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time between Amex apps

tag
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Time between Amex apps

I have seen several topics showing that you can get more than 1 card, even within the same day.  I have had an Amex Zync since 2011 and I have had the Amex CM since 4/4.  I applied for the BCP and the application was immediately cancelled.  How long do I need to wait for an additonal card or can I only have 2?

bcp.jpg

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash® from American Express. We value your Membership and appreciate your interest in another American Express Card. We regret we are unable to approve this request.

The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months. Please know that your prior application(s) has been approved and your Card has been sent to you. If you have not already done so, you can confirm you have received your Card at americanexpress.com/confirmcard or by calling the phone number on the back of your Card. You may then use your Card immediately and start enjoying the benefits of Card Membership."

If you have any questions, please call 1-866-929-5162 or write to us at the address above. You can also learn more about managing your credit at americanexpress.com/us/content/financial-education.

Thank you for your Card Membership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Care

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time between Amex apps

Did you use the prequalify first?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its unlikely anyone can get two Amex credit cards in one day...perhaps a credit and a charge card but not two credit cards.  The rule is one credit card per 5 days and no more than 2 credit cards in a 90-day period.

Assuming the scores in your signature are correct most likely you were denied because of your EX score.  What was your score when you were approved on 4/4?  Also, did the adverse action letter state the date of the EX pull that was used for the decision?

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 21
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

It didn't pull my score.  The app was just cancelled.  What I posted above is the adverse letter that I received.  My score was actually lower at 672 when I got the CM because AZEO was AZ.  It updated back to 686 but the CM was a sp anyway.

Message 5 of 21
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

https://awardwallet.com/blog/understanding-rewards-credit-card-application-rules-restrictions/

Thanks.  So technically I should have been fine.  I'll call them at some point and just ask since the app didn't even go through.

Message 6 of 21
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you use the prequalify first?

Yes, I prequalify for all of the cards, same as I did when I got the CM.

Message 7 of 21
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Yep I got one of those 2 a few months ago. You can only get 2 cards every 90 days minimum. So if you look at the date of your last app approval you must wait till 90 + 1 days to apply for another card. Otherwie as you can see if will simply cancel your app. This however does not apply to charge cards only revolvers. Hope this helps.

Message 8 of 21
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I am on the phone with 2 reps 1 on phone, the other consulting in the background (supervisor?) because they can't figure it out.  They are saying I should be able to apply for another card.  They said My Zync from 2011 and the CM was 4/4/19 so I am definitely elegible for the BCP...I'm assuming they don't know I can only get 1 revolver every 90 days...waiting to see what they come back and say.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

It didn't pull my score.  The app was just cancelled.  What I posted above is the adverse letter that I received.  My score was actually lower at 672 when I got the CM because AZEO was AZ.  It updated back to 686 but the CM was a sp anyway.

Sure they soft pulled your score; Amex always does...which is why I asked if the adverse action notice had a date for the score they used.  If not, they used an old score for the decision...its well known that the scores used by Amex underwriting lag behind the scores displayed in your online account by about 3 weeks to a month.  So its always a good idea to wait a few weeks after your score is updated in your online account to ensure underwriting is using the same scores.  Your rejection is probably not based on the 686 but on the 672.

But the fact that the Cash Magnet was approved with a 672 score answers your question....672 is a marginal score just 3 points above sub-prime aka a "fair" rating on the FICO scale.  Because of that, Amex wants to see improvement in your score before issuing another card.  It might not necessarily mean waiting 90 days, but at least until your scores cycle again and you're certain that underwriting has soft pulled the latest scores.

Amex soft pulls your score on the same date your account reports to the credit bureaus.  That score is displayed in your online account but underwriting doesn't get that score until about a month later.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.