cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn between several cards... and my next move

Crowhelm
Frequent Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move


@simplynoir wrote:

@GooseOnWholeWheat wrote:

Yes I have student loans that I began taking in 2014, so that's my oldest account, along with a car loan that has closed (paid) from later that year. I planned on waiting until December for my 2/6 to fall to 1/6, you think that gives me a better shot at the CFF? 


Yes and sort of no. Yes, because you are increasing the length of time between the last time you applied which is always good. Sort of no because Chase will more than likely soft pull your reports for the next few months assuming you are approved and if you plan to app for the NFCU card as well it's going to be tricky to say how Chase will react to that. My thinking is if you don't do anything else and let the new cards/HPs age then you should be fine. Only real way to know is to app and find out but definitely do the CFF app first


What makes you say that? Is Chase known to close or reduce CL's because you opened other cards? I opened two other credit cards after my Amazon Prime approval and it didn't have any negative effect on my relationship with Chase.


Message 11 of 17

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move

I personally have seen a lot of data points where people get totally shut down by chase (all accounts closed) when they're spreeing and they have a chase card before said spree... but I've also seen people spree and get accepted for a chase card at the end of said spree, so I guess that's the tricky part they're referring to.

Message 12 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move


@Crowhelm wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@GooseOnWholeWheat wrote:

Yes I have student loans that I began taking in 2014, so that's my oldest account, along with a car loan that has closed (paid) from later that year. I planned on waiting until December for my 2/6 to fall to 1/6, you think that gives me a better shot at the CFF? 


Yes and sort of no. Yes, because you are increasing the length of time between the last time you applied which is always good. Sort of no because Chase will more than likely soft pull your reports for the next few months assuming you are approved and if you plan to app for the NFCU card as well it's going to be tricky to say how Chase will react to that. My thinking is if you don't do anything else and let the new cards/HPs age then you should be fine. Only real way to know is to app and find out but definitely do the CFF app first


What makes you say that? Is Chase known to close or reduce CL's because you opened other cards? I opened two other credit cards after my Amazon Prime approval and it didn't have any negative effect on my relationship with Chase.


@GooseOnWholeWheat hit the nail on the head. Chase has been known to take AA on some applicants and shut them down after approval because they opened up additional accounts after their Chase approval. In your case, you got lucky. 


Last App: 05/30/2021
Capital One Auto Refinance Loan

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 13 of 17
CreditInspired
Super Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move


@GooseOnWholeWheat wrote:

Could just applying for 1 (or 2) of my alternative cards and waiting until I'm under 5/24 in October be a better move? I sound impatient lol if I should TRULY garden I will, I'd just like to have another card to grow passively over time before I do go into the garden 🪴 


It sounds like you want a more definitive answer whether you should apply for more cards or garden. IMO, you should garden. This will only help your position.

 

In this environment, I sincerely believe you would be declined for the CFF, or if approved, get a toy SL, even if you have a "Just for You" pre-approval. And is that worth 2, maybe even 3 HPs. A few year's back with 800 scores and a green checkmark, I was declined for a Chase CC. Now granted the denial was for 5/24, but here it is several years later and the sting of rejection is still real.

 

I suggest you curb your impatience and remember that patience is a virtue. The CFF, nor NFCU, is going anywhere. They will still be there after gardening for 12 months. 

My 2cents and GL2 whatever path you decide to take. 


|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 17
practical1
Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move

@CreditInspired @GooseOnWholeWheat 

 

I vote with CreditInspired.  Your scores are beginning to age like fine wine -- Chase is just too capricious for anyone to reliably predict how they'll "read the tea leaves" -- best not to assume anything and you won't be disappointed. 

 

When a bit of time has passed, consider further diversifying your portfolio with more credit union offerings.  NASAFCU and PenFED might be worth a gander, now that they've opened-up their memberships to everyone.  My recent experiences with both have been most pleasant -- NASAFCU offers a reliable prequal portal with only a soft pull, for example.

 

Submitted for your consideration.  Or not....

Message 15 of 17

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move

Made my move, I decided to be more patient and avoid spreeing... but still wanted to take advantage of a $250 back after $500 in spend for the CFF! My Experian score went up to 743 this week so I figured it was looking good enough to take my shot as my inquiries went to 1/6 and 0/90. Got 3.1k SL, so not my highest but at least not a toy limit for me and it's large enough to cover my normal spend and not go beyond 30%. Thanks for the advice from everyone and while I do plan on going for NFCU and Discover it soonish, this should keep me happy enough to wait a couple months and think about my next move.

Message 16 of 17
practical1
Contributor

Re: Torn between several cards... and my next move

Congrats!  May your cards keep coming, and your CLs and scores continue to increase.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.