Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA denial

Alright guys, I'm at my wits end here and need some guidance. 

We applied for a USAA credit card for my husband last week. We got a notice in the mail today that it was denied because they couldn't verify his identity with Equifax(all the information was correct as per his credit report). I called to see if we could verify the information with them and get a reconsideration. They said is have to call Equifax, correct the information and reapply. 

This concerned me because the hard pull already hit his report, and I didn't want a second one for the same card. The rep said legally they had to report the pull twice, and that it was 2 separate applications. This made no sense to me, so I asked to speak with a manager and was transferred to their escalations department (or whatever it's called) and this is where it got even more ridiculous. 

He told me they pull only Experian, that I was wrong, it was not Equifax and that I'd have to call Experian to correct the information. I assured him my letter said Equifax, that our USAA credit monitoring says Equifax was pulled, and the Equifax was definitely pulled. 

He looked into it, said (shockingly) Equifax was the one that was pulled, and that it couldn't verify my husband's identify, because there is no phone number listed on his report. He said they pull all 3 bureaus for applications, but only review Experian, and that my second application will pull Experian, and I should dispute the first pull with USAA to have it removed. He reiterated that he spoke with an underwriter previously who said they only review Experian for Credit Card apps?

None of this makes any sense to me. If they couldn't verify his identity, wouldn't the hard pull have not shown up on the report? And how would they pull Equifax only, but review his Experian report? Should I call back until I get someone who knows what the eff they're talking about?

Please help!!!!!!

******Update*******

After speaking with 4 different companies, i finally have some answers. An extended fraud alert was somehow added to his report (post on the corresponding thread forthcoming) so it was denied for that reason because no phone number was added with the alert for them to contact him. I will have to have Equifax remove that inquiry since USAA was unable to get his report. Also, USAA does absolutely pull Equifax, so that guy was as clueless as I thought.

So I may have a new problem to figure out, but this madness has been explained. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA denial

Yeah, you definitely encountered a nimrod. They pulled EQ for me both times, the second was last month.

Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, you definitely encountered a nimrod. They pulled EQ for me both times, the second was last month.

+1

It's been 18 months for me, but they pulled EQ (and only EQ) as well.

Message 3 of 9
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Both my  Credit card and personal loan USAA Pulled EX BUT 14 months  ago they pulled my EQ. 

image.png

Message 4 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Unfortunate how clueless he was. You'd think they'd have more knowledge to be helpful. Then again, maybe they do and it was just him.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is sad that the higher ups have no clue how their own products work.
Message 6 of 9
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Agreed. i had an issue with submitting two online applications and now I'm locked out due to being at my "application limit". No one I've spoken to can tell me when that should reset so I can submit a new app online (both were declined for bogus reasons). 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

They pulled EQ for the savings account and CC's.  They pulled EX for the auto refinance (I didn't accept).  This all occurred about two months ago.

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

They pulled EQ for the savings account and CC's.  They pulled EX for the auto refinance (I didn't accept).  This all occurred about two months ago.

Just to clarify, you got a HP for a deposit account with USAA?  When I opened my checking account with them there was no HP. 

I'm only asking since you mention opening a savings, which isn't required with USAA (since they're a bank and not a CU).  I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've not heard of it before.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.