cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Website Explorer Pre-Approval Is It Real?

tag
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

United Website Explorer Pre-Approval Is It Real?

Just happened to look at my United Account, and noticed that there was a United Explorer pre-approval ad. The two previous times I applied (35 years ago for a United Mileage Plus First Card and 25 years ago for whichever card it was at the time), I was denied. I would not want to bother applying unless approval was as close to certain as one can get with these things. My question is is there a way to confim on the Chase side that that pre-approval shows up? I do not have any account with Chase currently, and I have never seen a pre-approval page that did not require that one was already a customer to receive offers from them.

Anyone know how I can check?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: United Website Explorer Pre-Approval Is It Real?

if you sign up for Chase's free credit monitoring, credit journey, you should be able to see an offers tab to see if there are any preapprovals under the 'offers' tab there from Chase for you 

image.png

no idea if that page would show airline cards though, but it might be an indication if Chase is extremely likely to approve you if they are pre-approving you for something else 

that's as close as you're going to get to a completely certain approval, afaik

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 16
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@GZG wrote:

if you sign up for Chase's free credit monitoring, credit journey, you should be able to see an offers tab to see if there are any preapprovals under the 'offers' tab there from Chase for you.

Thanks! I did not know that one could join if one was not a customer.

no idea if that page would show airline cards though, but it might be an indication if Chase is extremely likely to approve you if they are pre-approving you for something else

I know that on my B/F’s Chase account, it shows offers for both a Southwest CattleCar Card, and one of the United ones, so I would guess it would show it.

That would be close enough for my needs.

Message 3 of 16
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@GZG wrote:

if you sign up for Chase's free credit monitoring, credit journey, you should be able to see an offers tab to see if there are any preapprovals under the 'offers' tab there from Chase for you.

I know that on my B/F’s Chase account, it shows offers for both a Southwest Cattle Card, and one of the United ones, so I would guess it would show it.

I remember when I started to get pre approvals for Chase cards last year in mobile app/website with the United card showing up, it also showed up as pre-approved on United's mobile app as well. So if you can cross check with Chase, you may get a better idea. Also, did it have a fixed APR as well? I know that mine did but I also had a Chase card at the time so that could have been an extra factor. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 4 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

Just happened to look at my United Account, and noticed that there was a United Explorer pre-approval ad. The two previous times I applied (35 years ago for a United Mileage Plus First Card and 25 years ago for whichever card it was at the time), I was denied. I would not want to bother applying unless approval was as close to certain as one can get with these things. My question is is there a way to confim on the Chase side that that pre-approval shows up? I do not have any account with Chase currently, and I have never seen a pre-approval page that did not require that one was already a customer to receive offers from them.

Anyone know how I can check?

I don't think so. I don't think the airline cards usually show up on the preapprovals page.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 16
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I don't think so. I don't think the airline cards usually show up on the preapprovals page.

I just checked again, and on my BF's credit card pre-approval page, he gets both a United Explorer card and a Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I just did not know that one could join Credit Journey without being a Chase account holder.

Message 6 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@GZG wrote:

I know that on my B/F’s Chase account, it shows offers for both a Southwest Cattle Card, and one of the United ones, so I would guess it would show it.

Didn't know Chase got into the ranch business! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I don't know that Chase's partner's website "preapprovals" are true preapprovals. I would think they're more like offers to apply, as they wouldn't have even SP access to credit reports.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 16
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

Didn't know Chase got into the ranch business! Smiley Very Happy

Sorry, that should have said: Southwest CattleCar Card (now corrected)

Anyway, I don't know that Chase's partner's website "preapprovals" are true preapprovals. I would think they're more like offers to apply, as they wouldn't have even SP access to credit reports.

That was the reasons for my question in the first place. The way that would make it work is if they provide the information on each potential customer back to Chase and then Chase did the pre-qualify and passed their results back to United. Now that I know I can join Credit Journey, I will do that when I am ready to consider applying. Currently 0/96, but only have one card, so I have some room. Need to decide what card or cards I want to add and then check for pre-approvals.

Message 8 of 16
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

They have a good offer, $250 statement credit along with 25K miles bonus.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

I just checked my Transunion and Equifax accounts, and do not see any soft pulls from Chase, so I am guessing that the pre-approved offer is not real, however, I will be signing up for Credit Journey sometime soon and then I can see if Chase has any offers for me. :-)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.