Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up Coming Spree

tag
jmcherr
Established Member

Up Coming Spree

So I am ultimately trying to apply for 3 cards (may go for a couple extra) and I am trying to wait until June, but would love to pull the trigger sooner.

I have "back up" cards for each of them if I get declined, which are listed under each card. I would not apply for any of the "bullets" or "back up cards" if I get approved for the numbered card it corresponds with.

The cards I'm trying to get are:

1. US Bank - Altitude Go

• Fulton - Everday Rewards + (Elan's version of Altitude Go)

• Capital One - Savor One

• Misc Elan Cards

2. Citi - Rewards +

• Alliant - Visa Signature

3. PNC - Cash Rewards

That being said a few extras I might go for before I garden would be:

4. Fulton - Max Cash Preferred (or other Elan cards)

5. Venmo

6. BOA - Custom Cash

My main concern is the Altitude Go. Come June I will have 0 inquiries in 6 months on Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. I will have 3 Inquiries in 12 months on Experian, 2 on Transunion, and 1 on Equifax. I will have 3 new accounts that just hit 6 months. My idea here is to wait until June because that is when everything hits 6 months.

My Fico 8 scores are Experian: 755, Transunion: 793. My Fico 5 score for Equifax is 793.

I have 7 cards right now, no installment loans.

Should I wait until June? Can I go sooner? Should I just skip the US Bank card and just go with Fulton (smaller SUB) or another Elan Card?

When it comes to the Citi card I'm just looking for the sub and to stack my Custom Cash to 5.5 and my Double Cash to 2.2. I am already a member of Alliant as well. I am not a member of AOD and not currently interested in their card.

I've been decline more then once for the PNC card, it actually would replace my verizon card for gas both offer 4%. I would be going for Abound but I believe I will be declined and I am not a memeber. I'm mostly appling for it for the sub and to get away from Verizon. I do not have a bank account with PNC.

The "extras" will depend on whether or not I can reach the SUBs with what I am approved for. I've applied for the BOA card multiple times just like PNC and never get it, do not bank with them, and it looks alot less appealing then when I first started building my credit.

I am looking for any input, I feel like I "want" the US Bank card. I definitely have an itch to app right now and partailly posting to buy me some time. If you'd recommend another card let me know. I'm not part of the Chase Eco System it'll probably happen in a year or so after my spree.

Cards I have right now (I really need to make my sig after this to include my scores / cards):

US Bank - Cash Plus

Discover - It!

Citi Custom - Cash

Verizon - Visa

American Express - Blue Cash

Citi - Double Cash

Capital One - Quick Silver

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Up Coming Spree

your scores are great, but for the USBank Altitude, you will want to be at only 1or 2 accts in the last 12 months - i dont think they will like 3 in 6 months

so if you skip that one, then you may be good to kick this off 

but i dont know if any of the other lenders will like 3 in 6 months either - so waiting until June is probably a good idea either way

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jmcherr wrote:

So I am ultimately trying to apply for 3 cards (may go for a couple extra) and I am trying to wait until June, but would love to pull the trigger sooner.

I have "back up" cards for each of them if I get declined, which are listed under each card. I would not apply for any of the "bullets" or "back up cards" if I get approved for the numbered card it corresponds with.

The cards I'm trying to get are:

1. US Bank - Altitude Go

• Fulton - Everday Rewards + (Elan's version of Altitude Go)

• Capital One - Savor One

• Misc Elan Cards

2. Citi - Rewards +

• Alliant - Visa Signature

3. PNC - Cash Rewards

That being said a few extras I might go for before I garden would be:

4. Fulton - Max Cash Preferred (or other Elan cards)

5. Venmo

6. BOA - Custom Cash

My main concern is the Altitude Go. Come June I will have 0 inquiries in 6 months on Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. I will have 3 Inquiries in 12 months on Experian, 2 on Transunion, and 1 on Equifax. I will have 3 new accounts that just hit 6 months. My idea here is to wait until June because that is when everything hits 6 months.

My Fico 8 scores are Experian: 755, Transunion: 793. My Fico 5 score for Equifax is 793.

I have 7 cards right now, no installment loans.

Should I wait until June? Can I go sooner? Should I just skip the US Bank card and just go with Fulton (smaller SUB) or another Elan Card?

When it comes to the Citi card I'm just looking for the sub and to stack my Custom Cash to 5.5 and my Double Cash to 2.2. I am already a member of Alliant as well. I am not a member of AOD and not currently interested in their card.

I've been decline more then once for the PNC card, it actually would replace my verizon card for gas both offer 4%. I would be going for Abound but I believe I will be declined and I am not a memeber. I'm mostly appling for it for the sub and to get away from Verizon. I do not have a bank account with PNC.

The "extras" will depend on whether or not I can reach the SUBs with what I am approved for. I've applied for the BOA card multiple times just like PNC and never get it, do not bank with them, and it looks alot less appealing then when I first started building my credit.

I am looking for any input, I feel like I "want" the US Bank card. I definitely have an itch to app right now and partailly posting to buy me some time. If you'd recommend another card let me know. I'm not part of the Chase Eco System it'll probably happen in a year or so after my spree.

Cards I have right now (I really need to make my sig after this to include my scores / cards):

US Bank - Cash Plus

Discover - It!

Citi Custom - Cash

Verizon - Visa

American Express - Blue Cash

Citi - Double Cash

Capital One - Quick Silver

You mentioned being declined multiple times for PNC and BoA. How long ago were your most recent declined applications with both of them? What were the reasons cited for each lender for not approving? The only thing that seems to stand out is the 3 recent new accounts (< 6 mos). You listed 7 accounts above, so what is your AAoA?

Message 3 of 9
jmcherr
Established Member

@FinStar wrote:

You mentioned being declined multiple times for PNC and BoA. How long ago were your most recent declined applications with both of them? What were the reasons cited for each lender for not approving? The only thing that seems to stand out is the 3 recent new accounts (< 6 mos). You listed 7 accounts above, so what is your AAoA?

My AAoA is 5.35 Years, this is including 5 closed installment loans, assuming they have "aged" until today. Remind me if you include closed in good standing accounts (with out closed accounts it is 1.58 Years). This is based off of Experian data, both my Transunion and Equifax have an older card opened in 1993 (when I was 3 months old) it reports open on Transunion and closed on Equifax, last reported 2014.

I was declined for PNC 11/2020 and BOA 11/2020, it looks like from an old Google Sheet my Experian Fico 8 was around 731 at the time. Would not know the reason why.

My next "newest" card is 12 months this month.

Message 4 of 9
jmcherr
Established Member

@RSX wrote:

your scores are great, but for the USBank Altitude, you will want to be at only 1or 2 accts in the last 12 months - i dont think they will like 3 in 6 months

but i dont know if any of the other lenders will like 3 in 6 months either - so waiting until June is probably a good idea either way

Yeah do you think I'll get by with 3/12 at US Bank? I may be leaning towards the Fulton card or looking into a different bank that works with Elan, but I'd have to find one with enough data points to argue they are really more lenient the US Bank. 

Message 5 of 9
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@jmcherr wrote:

@RSX wrote:

Yeah do you think I'll get by with 3/12 at US Bank?

I didn't. They declined me only due to too many new cards which was at the time 3/6 months (and 5/12 if I remember correctly).

Message 6 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@jmcherr wrote:

@RSX wrote:

Yeah do you think I'll get by with 3/12 at US Bank?

I didn't. They declined me only due to too many new cards which was at the time 3/6 months (and 5/12 if I remember correctly).

That does appear to be the typical (albeit not universal) outcome.  Data points suggest that at 3/12 odds would better with a Max Cash Preferred application.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 9
jmcherr
Established Member

@coldfusion wrote:

That does appear to be the typical (albeit not universal) outcome.  Data points suggest that at 3/12 odds would better with a Max Cash Preferred application.

Yeah I'm starting to think that I should skip the Altitude Go... However what I think I'm going to end up doing is; I am going to wait to June, app for the US Bank card, get declined sigh and say well I gave it a try, then switch to Fulton.

I'm curious do the Elan card's approvals go through the FI or Elan? If I get declined with Fulton can I just apply at the next bank that offers the card until I get it?

I've read that you can get around the geo fences because it is through Elan, so I assume if you get denied for one bank going through Elan it would apply to the next as well.

Also I'm looking at the Everyday Rewards Plus card not Max Cash Preferred.

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jmcherr wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Yeah I'm starting to think that I should skip the Altitude Go... However what I think I'm going to end up doing is; I am going to wait to June, app for the US Bank card, get declined sigh and say well I gave it a try, then switch to Fulton.

I'm curious do the Elan card's approvals go through the FI or Elan? If I get declined with Fulton can I just apply at the next bank that offers the card until I get it?

I've read that you can get around the geo fences because it is through Elan, so I assume if you get denied for one bank going through Elan it would apply to the next as well.

Also I'm looking at the Everyday Rewards Plus card not Max Cash Preferred.

Any ELAN affiliate or partner applications are underwritten by ELAN, not the FI.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.