cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF relationship required? Chances without?

tag
Remi1
Contributor

WF relationship required? Chances without?

Hello,

Looking into WF cards (either Cash Wise or Plat) due to their 15 and 18 month 0% BT offers (respectively). I've seen some say that you won't get approved for their cards without having an existing relationship (banking or other CCs) with them. Others say this is just coincidence or otherwise not true/required.

Can ya'll help shed some light on this and/or give DPs? Does it seem to be an unspoken rule that you need to already have some sort of relationship with them? What are the chances of being approved for a CC without any relationship?

I do not have any sort of relationship with them. Wondering if I need to try to establish one to have any hope at getting one of their cards, or if I would be fine/have the same chances of getting approved, without the extra steps.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: WF relationship required? Chances without?

If you peruse through a variety of threads, it's going to yield mixed results.  Folks have been approved for WF CCs without a banking relationship and a variety have been denied for lack of one.  It all boils down to overall profile since even with profile similarities, outcomes will be very different.   That said, even if you decided to go through the relationship route, parking small sums of $$$ isn't probably going to help much.

There was recent WF pre-selection tool introduced that may provide a bit of a barometer on things, but it's not a pre-approval portal (from what I can tell) so I'm not sure how accurate it may be.  You can try it and see:

https://web.secure.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/yourinfo?sub_channel=WEB&vendor_code=IA&lang=en&produ...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read, a banking relationship definitely helps most of the time. I was approved for the Propel with no relationship, so it's not impossible to get a CC if you're not already a customer/client.

Message 3 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I was approved for propel without an account.

I was then approved for platinum.

Not my biggest SLs, but approved.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remi1 wrote:

Hello,

Looking into WF cards (either Cash Wise or Plat) due to their 15 and 18 month 0% BT offers (respectively). I've seen some say that you won't get approved for their cards without having an existing relationship (banking or other CCs) with them. Others say this is just coincidence or otherwise not true/required.

Can ya'll help shed some light on this and/or give DPs? Does it seem to be an unspoken rule that you need to already have some sort of relationship with them? What are the chances of being approved for a CC without any relationship?

I do not have any sort of relationship with them. Wondering if I need to try to establish one to have any hope at getting one of their cards, or if I would be fine/have the same chances of getting approved, without the extra steps.

Thank you!

I would say it is a gamble.  I would say with no relationship unless you got a bang out high credit score with long history I wouldn't chance it, but that's just me.

Message 5 of 7
Remi1
Contributor

Thank you all who responded! It does indeed seem like a gamble. I'm not sure whether I'm willing to risk it yet! 

Message 6 of 7
LukeJoseph
Established Member

I have to believe a relationship helps. I am rebuilding. 626 EX, a good handful of old collections and charge-offs that will be falling off in about a year.

I have had a checking account with them for about 12 years and has become my primary for about 6. They have kept sending me pre-qualification mailers and pop-ups when I would log into my account. One day I got the pop-up for the Cash Wise and decided to give it a go. I didn't get instant approval but the next day received an email that I was approved with a 6k limit (my highest).

I can't believe they would have approved me without my pre-existing banking relationship.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.