Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Prequalification Disappointment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Prequalification Disappointment

I received a 'Congratulations! You're prequalified for a Walmart credit card' letter in the mail yesterday. So....I log on to the website last night and enter the acceptance code and the requested information, but when I hit the last submit button, I get a website error message (something like the page you requested is not available, please try again later). So, I go back and try again. This time it says the acceptance code I entered has already been processed Smiley Mad

I call the number on the mailer...office is closed. Try calling again at 6, 7, and 8 this morning...office still closed. Finally get someone at 9, and am informed that I'll get a letter in 10 days Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad So I say to the CSR, 'so, it was declined after y'all sent me an offer?' He says, 'yes, I'm sorry about that.' So, I not only wasted my time, but also a probable hard pull. So annoyed with them! 

My scores (in the 630's) have actually gone up a few points in the last couple of weeks. The only other change to my CR recently was a new CC account added. Does Syncrony do recons? If so, what's the best phone number/email to use and best approach to take?

Thanks for putting up with my rantSmiley Frustrated

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Walmart Prequalification Disappointment

Man that stinks, but it can be a,good lesson learned to rely more on how your current reports look than on prequal letters. This happened to me a couple times with Discover i got the mailers put in codes and still declinedSmiley Sad. As far as recons, the computer is king with Synchrony, they dont do recons.

Heres my take on Wally now. As we rebuild we usually want the Wally then hope for the MC version. Once we get the Wally, by the time we could get the mc version we are usually on to better cards. Or you can be upgraded but same principle, another new account. One way to go is wait off on Wally to you eventually get over 700 and go for the mc and hopefully get it in one shot. Thats just my thought on it nowadaysSmiley Wink. But if not, just wait til you get about 650 you should be good to go. Sorry again, i know its mind boggling at times but youll get thereSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouragement  AJC!

Message 3 of 29
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

DW got one of these today also. 2 years ago when I got my WM card approved my TU Fico 08 was 601 yikes. And it was a cold app now it's at 25K.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be SUPER frustrating to me as well. Especially taking a HP and not getting the actual credit for it in the end. I know it sucks now especially if there isn't a way to recon but it'll work out.

Next time when you apply you may end up with a higher SL or a sign up gift card bonus. Better yet you'll get a different card you've been looking forward to 😃
Message 5 of 29
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No probs KJohnSmiley Happy Lol, if you saw how many wasted pulls i have on my cr's youd shake your head.

The problem with rebuilding and not knowing any better is we'll app anything anywhere just to have more credit. Ive made this mistake many times before i found here and hey its not easy but now i think once you get a general feel on what you want for your profile and your spend, itll get easier. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores are not everything a 630 with recent bad marks looks worse then a 630 with baddies more than 2 years old. I was approved for a Dick's Sporting Good store card with excessive inquiries >15 but my scores are a little bit higher and my charge-offs are from 2013.

Try again in a few months. Walmart is a very good store card to have. I'm trying not to encourage blind apping but a lot of gasoline cards are owned by the same bank and they are even looser on approvals than Walmart and Amazon. Nothing beats a high FICO with no bad marks but at the same time building more history with the same bank would not hurt either
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Scores are not everything a 630 with recent bad marks looks worse then a 630 with baddies more than 2 years old. I was approved for a Dick's Sporting Good store card with excessive inquiries >15 but my scores are a little bit higher and my charge-offs are from 2013.

Try again in a few months. Walmart is a very good store card to have. I'm trying not to encourage blind apping but a lot of gasoline cards are owned by the same bank and they are even looser on approvals than Walmart and Amazon. Nothing beats a high FICO with no bad marks but at the same time building more history with the same bank would not hurt either

Yeah, I don't understand it. My oldest baddies are 2+ years old. Plus, I already have an Amazon Prime card...

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand it. My oldest baddies are 2+ years old. Plus, I already have an Amazon Prime card...

I was approved for Amazon Prime card and an hour later denied Walmart store card.  Pulled TU for both.

What is your AAoA?

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's crazy I got my Walmart card a year-and-a-half before my Amazon card and I burned 3 inquiries trying to get that thing
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.