cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it with Bank of the West?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is it with Bank of the West not pulling?

Something about your overall information triggered additional requirements. Not sure what, but two family members didn't have to go through all of that jazz.

Both got approved with decent SLs. Only one of them had to jump through a few extra hoops, but nothing like what they were requesting from you. I would try it, but they're geofenced.
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
Something about your overall information triggered additional requirements. Not sure what, but two family members didn't have to go through all of that jazz.

Both got approved with decent SLs. Only one of them had to jump through a few extra hoops, but nothing like what they were requesting from you. I would try it, but they're geofenced.

Probably the fact that they never pulled my credit would have a lot to do with it. 

No other lender has ever had any problem with my info and I didn’t give them any different info than the rest of my lenders have been given. 

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly this card was an attempt to replace my NFCU Amex with a card that didn’t have the stupid $50 minimum redemption. NFCU really needs to get rid of that pesky requirement. I will probably end up adding the card back as my third card if I don’t get approved for the UMB Simply Rewards next year. For now, I’ll take the 1% less from my SavorOne I guess. 

I don't have the Navy AMEX card yet, so I didn't know about the $50 minimum. That sounds frustrating, but at least the money is still earned, even if you have to wait longer to redeem it.

I suspect I'm in the same boat as you as I also have a modest income and spending. But since the Navy card should be easier to get (I really have little hope about a Bank of the West approval after this thread), then it is what it is. 

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly this card was an attempt to replace my NFCU Amex with a card that didn’t have the stupid $50 minimum redemption. NFCU really needs to get rid of that pesky requirement. I will probably end up adding the card back as my third card if I don’t get approved for the UMB Simply Rewards next year. For now, I’ll take the 1% less from my SavorOne I guess. 

I don't have the Navy AMEX card yet, so I didn't know about the $50 minimum. That sounds frustrating, but at least the money is still earned, even if you have to wait longer to redeem it.

I suspect I'm in the same boat as you as I also have a modest income and spending. But since the Navy card should be easier to get (I really have little hope about a Bank of the West approval after this thread), then it is what it is. 

Since you have an existing banking relationship with them, I would think you would have a much easier time getting a card from them than me. Banking relationships almost always help to get credit products with regional banks. 

But the NFCU card is definitely better if you can work with the $50 minimum redemption. I ended up cashing my $25 out for an Amazon gift card instead of waiting til $50 to get cash and that still took me since February to last week to get there so I decided to PC it back to cashRewards. And of course now that they announced these changes days later, I’m thinking I should have kept it. Can’t win I guess!

Message 24 of 30
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about your experience with BOTW didn't realize they put you under a microsope for a simple CB card.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@issac2x wrote:

Sorry about your experience with BOTW didn't realize they put you under a microsope for a simple CB card.

It’s all good. The UMB card is a better goal anyway. Maybe I’ll actually garden for a bit now. Both my goal cards require me to do so. 

Message 26 of 30
zeeks87
Valued Member

I’ve done all my banking with bank of the west business and personal since forever they have been great ,managers and tellers no holds on checks no matter what size I’ve built a good relationship with them but when it comes to credit cards for the business or personal I’ve tried for about three straight years applying when they have campaigns and I’ve learned it’s just a waste of time it almost feels like your not good enough ever same goes with auto loans ect I have good scores 770 across the board that’s why now I go another route AMEX has always treated me good but it still sucks that You’re bank turns their back on you especially if you do tons of business like I do with them

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is it with Bank of the West?

You have a BCP & a Savor, why do you even want this card?

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t have BCP and I just PC’d my More Rewards back to cashRewards because the $50 minimum cash redemption was too much.

I will use the SavorOne for groceries though. BCE is out because it’s also got a $25 minimum.

I might think about getting a BCP at some point but I don’t have enough spend to make it worthwhile long term.
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got two letters from BoTW today.

The first is a price you pay for credit letter citing a 690 Experian score — which means they soft pulled me.

The second is a denial. Reason - unable to verify identity.

So there it is — they did a soft pull. Sounds like if I provided them the documents they wanted, it could have been a soft pull approval.
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.