Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to apply for for better CLI and Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to apply for for better CLI and Rewards

Hello, long time listener first time caller!

Cheesy intros aside, I've been working on my credit for a few years now though the game is hard to play and it seems at the whimsy of some otherworldly being whether it goes up or down. Currently I believe according to Scorecard 8 I sit at 600-620. I was at my highest when buying my new car and at my lowest when I paid the last one off. I've yet to see what paying my student loan off has done.

All that aside, the only credit card I have had for 2 years is my Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard. It recently went through a product change after a talk to the EO but I think my request for a 10k CLI was turned down as I've not seen any adjustments or letters for a week and a half on the matter. So out of a last resort I took the Luv Button's offer of 6500 from 4500. However I was really hoping for a much better CLI so that I can keep the utilizations low without having to offload expenses almost as quick as I get them.

So comes the question. I'm looking for another card that gives fair rewards and is more flexible or giving in the realm of CLIs but not sure what to shoot for or if I should. The most prospective one was Citi's Double Cash rewards card, especially after seeing this person's success. Though after reading a bit I finally found he had a score of 730 at the time. So what does everyone recommend for what I'm looking for? Am I shooting too high or pipe dreaming or is it very much possible? Other than soft pulls from Cap One, the only hard pulls I had was the shotgunned loan requests from the dealership in early January. I was on one hard pull before that from the initial Capital One application.

Hope to hear back soon. Thanks.

~PS: Anyone know if Scorecard 9 is better to go by or not quite implemented enough to think it's more accurate than Scorecard 8?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to apply for for better CLI and Rewards

What is/are your:

Negative Marks
Utilization on the Cap 1
AAoA

That will give the veterans here the best chance of making you a great recommendation

The advice I would give is that have your utilization at 1-5% if possible before applying. It is REALLY important.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, long time listener first time caller!

~PS: Anyone know if Scorecard 9 is better to go by or not quite implemented enough to think it's more accurate than Scorecard 8?

Welcome to MyFico.

Neither Fico 8 or 9 is more 'accurate'.  They are as equally accurate for what the model takes into account in their scoring.  You're far better to focus on Fico 08 or even earlier versions as that's what most creditors use.  There is no evidence that I've seen that any creditor is using Fico 09 as of yet.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about that, I should have known those would be asked.

Average age of accounts is 9 months. Mainly alot of installment loans I had, auto, student, etc have been paid and closed so its mainly my Capital 1 9/14 and my new auto loan which are open.

Utilization on Cap 1 is above 30% at the moment. I had it under 9% then had a big expense. Yet with a recent payment and the CLI of 6500, I'll be at least under 30% within the week.

Derogatories I'm unsure. I had a set of 6 from my student loans from a streak of bad finances. (sadly over 3 APRs so it counted as 18 though it said only 6) that were old but still being counted. Well I paid the student loan off and on my Credit Karma it's disappeared so my payment history shows perfect with 16 payments. myFico still shows them though on the 3b and current reporting through my account. So as far as if I'm carte blanche on that I have no idea.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to wait until your Cap 1 card reports, so you get the benefit of the lower utilization, and also check to see if the loans are cleared....I wouldn't app for anything until those are done.

As far as what to app for, I would imagine Discover or Barclays could be a fit for what you are looking for---but would defer to the vets on a recommendation.

Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.